wimpy A/V receivers

jdm56

I've read in S&V lately of three different A/V receivers that failed to meet their advertised power ratings. Some failed by a wide margin. A Marantz, a Pioneer and a Sony cwm10.gif What gives with this? What good is the FCC if manufacturers aren't really held accountable for the claims they make for their products? Of course, high-end tube amps fail to meet their published specs more often than not, too. I'd hate to shell out cash for a "100 Watt" A/V receiver and then find out it can barely manage 35W. Caveat Emptor indeed!

------------------

JDMcCall

i forget which marantz that was exactly but it was a newer one like a 6200 or something. heard that it was a drastic dif, but also marantz claimed the unit used was faulty.

i have a marantz sr8000 that claims 105WX5 but think it actually reviewed at 100W. good soundin, higher current amp though.

compared to my 1st a/v receiver, a sony de-935 Redface.gif rated at 110WX5, my marantz kicks it's wimpy butt.

guess that's why we need to demo them 1st. cwm20.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-08-2002 at 02:42 AM

Power ratings are the most untrustworthy and generally misleading spec out today. The standards are very loose. My 65 watt per channel Outlaw 1050 outperform the 100 watt per channel Sonys I had previously. They tend to test higher than 65 w/c.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 02-08-2002 at 11:48 AM

It is all about how the manufactuer states the FCC rating for example a 100x5 sony may be rated as follows 100watts per channel into 6ohms at 1khz One Channel driven. While a 60watt NAD for example is rated as follows 60watts per channel into 8ohms from 20hz-20khz all five channels driven this is a gods honest 60 watts, but by rating at 6ohms and only one channel driven with high distortion numbers sony is able to pump up the specs. Most people never look to see the frequency bandwith an amp is rated over or the number of channels being dirven thata is very important. For example a very well known company Denon rates all there recievers with 2 channels driven far from all 5 or 7 in some cases so it may make rated power with 2 driven but no where near rated power with all driven.

boa - I believe the Marantz was the SR-7200. I was very disappointed to read of it's high noise level and low power driving five or six channels. I hope it was defective, 'cause I was thinking it might be a good "transition" component; For use as the centerpiece in my music rig, providing access to SACD and also providing some good options for playing two-channel material back through a full surround speaker set-up. Then I could slide it into the HT rig when and if SACD/DVD-A with digital outputs ever become available. The newer Marantz gear is gorgeous!

soundog & rennocneb - Three receivers were compared and tested equally--5 channels driven, 20-20k.

I generally would not consider a receiver that is only rated @ 1khz with just one or two channels driven. That does not tell you much when you are dealing with multichannel, bass heavy material.

------------------

JDMcCall

jd, if u don't need that 6th channel & all those new gizmo formats like DPLII & DTS:neo, u might still be able to find a marantz sr8000 for a lot less than a 7200. great receiver, smooth amp & it delivers as advertised (give or take 5 watts). real nice for 2 channel stereo too & one of the best universal remotes.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

There are just too many lemons on the market today,lets face it.Most recievers have piss poor amplification matched to noisy pre-pro section built around a soda can chassis.

Any reciever under $400 with a 5 x 100W power rating is a hoax.In the lower priced segment BS ratings are king and prey on those who only look at specs and dont even know the ratings should be 100W RMS full bandwith all channels driven non stop.All recievers will fail to meet their ratings this way even the Denon 5800!So any lesser reciever(and all have lesser amps)will fail poorly,in other words pathetic amps with overblown figures.

Denon 3801 and up,Onkyo 939 and up,Yamaha 2000 and up,Marantz SR19 and up,B&K any reciever they ever made and the new Pioneer 47 and 49TX are close to the claimed power ratings.Outlaw and Rotel are known to not overblow their specs to fool the unsuspecting buyer.

In any way I have dedicated power amps to take care of the reciever amp problems,get an Outlaw or ATI power amp and you are set.

I almost forgot,wiuth Klipsch you often will be A ok with 20W per channel.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

"I believe the Marantz was the SR-7200. I was very disappointed to read of it's

high noise level and low power driving five or six channels. I hope it was defective,

'cause I was thinking it might be a good "transition" component; For use as the

centerpiece in my music rig, providing access to SACD and also providing some good

options for playing two-channel material back through a full surround speaker set-up.

Then I could slide it into the HT rig when and if SACD/DVD-A with digital outputs ever

become available."

jd, for a while there this seemed like a general issue thread. cwm4.gif now looks like this receiver or that, so you better provide more than the above. Smile.gif

as ttk points out i'm a big advocate of the adjustable crossover, though it only applies if you have a seperate sub that is running BOTH lfe & low bass & u have bigger speaks that can go down below 60hz or so.

so yea if u end up getting a sub & using the digital connection for sacd, & u want to spend more $ than the 7200, might want to look at the b&k 305 or 307, or that

denon 4802.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

It looks like no one mention yamaha receivers. I love my rx-v1200. I will crank up my rf-3's with any problem and without any distortion. I realize its not the same power as a mono, or multi channel amp but it more than does the job for me and my ears!

cwm28.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Textf>When I was shopping for AV receivers a much more knowledgable person than I told me to really look at high current power--not just watts. I decided at the time on a Harman/Kardon AVR 110. Only 40 watts X 5 (or 50 X 2) but let me tell ya--it will shake the walls. I had an older Sony rated at 85 wattsX2. The H/K blows it away. Sony was crap--the "little" H/K tips the scale at 32 lbs and supplies +/- 25 amps of current power. Damn thing is huge. Was VERY hard finding a shelf that would hold this thing (deep enough that is). So, I would look at current power--Denon's are also good in this area but I've suffered reliability and service issues with them so I will not buy anymore Denon stuff.

H/K 120 has a very nice sound, even in 2 chan but does not have preamp outs so will be expensive for me to upgrade to seperates. Worth a look but go with the AVR 220 for the preamp option.

System I have:

Forte II mains

KV-3 Cent

SS-1s rear

Sony 32 in Trinitron

Sony DVPS-360

Denon DCM 370 HDCD Changer

System I want:

Forte IIs

Academy (or KLFC7 or maybe RC-3)

SS-1s are fine for back-end

RSW-12 Sub

Rotel HDCD Single CD player

Outlaw 1050/950 amp/preamp combo (or Rotel seperates)

Sony has a new 40 inch tude TV--I want one.

MM

Thanks for the advice one and all.

My little 80Wattx2 mosfet Sony ES integrated is doing a bang-up musical job driving the k-horns through a Dynaco QD-2 passive surround decoder. The rear speakers are an old pair of High-efficiency Infinity SM-120's. Still looking for a Belle to do center channel duty.cwm21.gif

BUT...am keeping my eyes open for a good receiver that has dpl II and at least one other good surround extraction mode for two channel. Not that faked-up BS, but a simple, clean "Hafler-esque" approach, like Marantz's "Circle Surround", Harmon-Kardon's Logic-7 (or whatever they call it). 'Cause the fact of the matter is the bulk of my listening will probably remain 2-channel for years--I won't be buying any DVD-A's or SACD's at 25 bucks a pop. Other high receiver priorities -- low noise, multi-channel inputs for SACD, a beefy power supply, and GOOD tone controls that operate on the multi-channel inputs, also. (try finding that one!)

------------------

JDMcCall