Re-configured Home Theater set up, questions abound

KlipschHead281

Sorry for the length of my first post!

I have had the same set up for the HT since 1999 except what was switched out per the date's shown. It consisted of the following:

Mitsubish WS-55859 55" Rear Projection HD TV (until Dec '06)

Technics SA-AX7 Receiver with 5.1 Processor for DTS and Dolby Digital, don't laugh, this thing did a great job! (until 12/16/08)

Technic's DVDA10 (purchased in 2000 to replace a first gen Technic's DVD player (until Dec '06) Denon DVD upscaling with HDMI (awesome DVD player!) replaced DVDA10 (Dec '06)

Harmon Karden 5 disc CD changer

KSF 10.5 Main's

KSF-C5 Center

KSW 300 Sub

KT-DS THX Rear's

Currently the system has been changed to the following:

Samsung 50" Plasma (can't remember model but it rocks!) Purchased 12/06

Marantz SR5003 7.1 HT Receiver

Sony BDP550 Blu-Ray

Klipsch KG 5.2 Main's

KSF-C5 Center

KSW 300 Sub (insane on HT but a little slow for music)

KT-DS THX Rear's

I moved my KSF 10.5's because they don't do as well in music as they do for HT and maybe my ears have change but they are just too bright so I put my KG 5.2's as the mains and the difference isn't just a little, it's huge. The KG 5.2's sound so much more natural and kick butt in music and HT, can't be happier!

My questions are... 1. Klipsch KG 5.2's aren't easy to match and while the KSF C5 was fine for the KSF 10.5's, it doesn't match up well with the 5.2's so I am thinking of doing the following. Purchase a RC-64 to replace the C5. Does anybody have this combo and if so does the 64 overpower the 5.2's? My budget doesn't allow for the purchase of new main's so the 5.2's are staying. I think the 64 will blend nicely with the 5.2's so I'm eager to hear what you guys say. Also, it weighs in at 61lbs, not sure my entertainment system can handle it. The top shelf is tempered glass! Need to look into it.

2. The KSW 300 hits so hard in HT that my neighbor can feel it in her house (about 30ft away) and I have it set lower in gain (it's set to about 4.4) and it is set to 60hz, much better in music now since it doesn't have to help the 10.5's anymore. I have been agonizing over the best sub to replace the KSW 300 but after visiting many stores have not heard one that compares for reasonable money. I am impressed with older Sunfire's but not the new HRS, I thought about getting a D12 online, but while it sounded amazing in music it just didn't hit as hard in HT. Opinions needed on this one, the room is 16ft for each wall.

Why did I lose my space and paragraph formatting? It's now all one big post!

It does that sometimes.. you can press edit and fix if you wish. don't worry it's all good.

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone comes on board with that combo re RC64 anf KG5's and helps you out. I can not help as I have the reference 35's.

Good price on the RC-64 but I don't think it will match up with your KGs in the least bit. You'll have to turn the output of the RC-64 way down or turn the output of the KGs way up, plus the voicing or timbre of the speakers are totally different.

Oh well, you can always sell your KGs and buy new Reference series to replace them with. [;)]

Good price on the RC-64 but I don't think it will match up with your KGs in the least bit. You'll have to turn the output of the RC-64 way down or turn the output of the KGs way up, plus the voicing or timbre of the speakers are totally different.

Oh well, you can always sell your KGs and buy new Reference series to replace them with. Wink

I agree that the timber match is going to be off however I'm pretty good at setting this up and feel I'll be able to get it sounding good, I think the 64 will match up better than the KSF C5 though. [:D] My next purchase will be either RF-63's or RF-83's, probably in the summer, most likely the 63's as the 83's might be a bit much for the room, even if I'm drooling over them! I'm hoping the sound isn't that far off with this set up, I'd hate to have to return it.

I see you're a Mustang guy, here is a pic of my '06 510hp GT...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the forum. It certainly is exciting making any major changes to one's theater! I hope the RC 64 does well for you. Perhaps down the road a reference setup wil be in order ;)

Thanks! I'm going to a local shop this weekend to listen to the 63's and 83's with the 64 in the system as well so I know what I'm in for.

KG and RC aren't a good match.

Now you'll want to change to Ref mains definitely. KV-3 or KV-4 would have been the correct center.

Agreed, sadly nobody is selling the correct one, hence my decision to go with the RC. I do think though that while the match might not be so good it will "sound" definately better than the KG 5.2 KSF C5 combo, agreed?

Do the 63's have the same kind of thump and tightness the 5.2's have?

I spoke to Marantz and a Ernie from Audio Classics about how to blend the RC-64's with the KG 5.2's and they both mention using the Audyssey setup to have it do the matching. I may do that and see how it goes, if it doesn't do a good job I may just order a KV4 and see how that does, I know it would be closer than the 64.