Which rears for my Klipsch setup??

freshane

I am putting together a 7.1 system with onkyo 876 reciever. I currently have RF82s mains, RS52s Surrounds, RC62 Center.. all I need is the rears. I listened to RB61s and RF15s. I really liked the RF15s with the RF82s, the RB61 didn't seem as vibrant and was lacking some punch. I read that the RF15s are not timbre matched, will this be a problem?? I am trying to hunt down a good deal on the RF52s but they are sold out and are discontinued from our dealers here in Canada. I can get the pair of RF15s new for $400 and the RF52s were $500 but sold out. What should I do?? Thanks

well if you like the rf-15's, then go with those. timber matching only matters when the front 3 are conserned. you won't get much of any information on the rear channels in a 7.1 system. 70%-80% of HT is from the center channel. so that means 30%-20% of the rest of the HT track is divided up between the remaining 6 speakers.

i personally would want either a rb or rs series speaker before i choose a rf series speaker. i feel it would be a waist. i don't know this first hand, but i have read posts on here that suggested only getting rf series speakers for the rear channels if you listen to a lot of music, other wise the rb or rs series would be better. again, i wouldn't know, i wouldn't choose a rf series for rear duty because i think it would be overkill.

it only matters what you like. good luck on your search.

I have already this discussion. I was going to get some RF 82s and put my RF 62s in the rear. The thing is, the RS line is better for that purpose. The RS line are WDST speakers, so they are made for this purpose. In my opinion the towers for rears are overkill. You get nothing more with towers than the RS line.

If you have a larger room and don't sit parallel with your side surrounds, then the WDST speakers may be preferable, but for the rears I would look for a pair of RB-81s or RB-61s if you are running a Subwoofer. If you sit parallel to your side surrounds, I would consider towers as side surrounds. If you already have the RS-52 I would put them in back. The last "upgrade" I made was exchanging my rear RS-7s for the RB-75s I have now and it was basically a lateral move for most material....That being said, where I get the most benefit from having direct firing speakers behind me is on Multi-channel music and the discrete sound coming from the back is AWESOME. http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/1003/slideshowpro.aspx

I have seen people post that not much material comes out of the surrounds and that may be so, but in my Library Home Theater I don't have "ambiance" coming out of my surrounds but a multichannel experience with separate and equal soundfields. YMMV.