KSW-12 .... sub advice needed.

redux999

Hi everybody ....

KSW-12

Your opinion about this sub please.

I'm looking for a rather cheap sub to go along with my RF-7 speakers ... just to give some support in the lower frequency's.

I can do a nice bargin over here on eBay ... only 198€ for the KSW-12 which is not much money.

I listen a lot of cable radio and I don't have lot of low when I listen to that source ... DVD, Movies are fine ....

Would the KSW-12 be a bit of a match with my other speakers ?

Redux,

IF you can find it............here are the Specs.

Sub-12 Subwoofer

The
Synergy Series Sub-12 hurls out enough power and bass extension to
shake the foundation. It uses high-quality materials and the most
reliable components to create a rock-solid impact that makes your
movies and music come alive.

Features

• 12-inch, down-firing driver

• 650 watts of dynamic power

• steep-slope (24dB/octave) low-pass crossover is continuously adjustable from 40 to 120Hz

The KSW-12 would most likely struggle to keep up with the RF-7's. Are you adding a sub for HT? For music, the RF-7's shouldn't need much help down low if you've got a stout amp driving them.

A kind of both realy ... HT and music ... it's also a kind of an acoustic problem that I have over here and I want to fill up the void spaces where there is a lack on bass.

I have a nice low ... like in my toilet downstairs .. not the place where you watch HT or listen to music offcourse ...

That's why I'm looking for an affordable good sub which will have as main purpose to support my RF-7's.

I have a really nice receiver .. Marantz SR4001 ... but it has already the bass upped at it max. --> +6dB to get a decent low.

A friend of me has exact the same set-up ... other kind of room ... sounds great over there ... perfect low ... all inputs set to "source direct"... perfect.

My room is like this ...

Posted Image

Distances are in metric meters so I converted them for ya'll

8m60 = 28.21 feet

5m60 = 18.33 feet

3m60 = 11.81 feet

1m60 = 5.25 feet

The little brown rectangles are where my RF'-7's are located ... turned in to the listening position ... both on Soundcare Superspikes .. about 1.5 feet away from wall and corner.I tried all kind of positions ... a bit forward, backwards, sidewards, angle ... believe me ... there at there best position possible at the moment.

Red are seats .. in front of it a rather big low marble table, underneath a carpet .. tile floor.

Listening position is in the middle of the room and there is no possibility to turn everything 180 degrees around ... not enough space on the other site.

Low is good in the top part of the picture where my kitchen is and at the opposite wall of where the RF-7's are

So ... I guess a sub should or could help over here .. what do you think ...

If I understand you correctly, your friend has the same set up and has good bass response. You also have good bass in different parts of the house but not where you want it. It sounds to me that you have more of a room issue than an equipment issue. Adding more bass may make your problem worse. You may want to look into bass traps to try to fix the room.

Listening position is in the middle of the room and there is no possibility to turn everything 180 degrees around ... not enough space on the other site.

Biggest problem is that you're sitting in the middle of the room. That's the part of the room where bass output is the lowest. Adding a sub isn't the answer - moving your listening position is.

Divide the length of your room into thirds and then sit either 1/3 of the way from the front wall or 2/3 of the way fromt the front wall. (Either 6 feet or 12 feet away). You'll probably want to do 12 feet because 6 feet seems awfully close.

Biggest problem is that you're sitting in the middle of the room. That's the part of the room where bass output is the lowest. Adding a sub isn't the answer - moving your listening position is.

Divide the length of your room into thirds and then sit either 1/3 of the way from the front wall or 2/3 of the way fromt the front wall. (Either 6 feet or 12 feet away). You'll probably want to do 12 feet because 6 feet seems awfully close.

he's absolutely right, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the Sub 12 though! I can't get enough of this sub................ I only use my RW10 for movies. In 2 ch. the 12 is more than enough for me! [:)]

If I understand you correctly, your friend has the same set up and has good bass response. You also have good bass in different parts of the house but not where you want it. It sounds to me that you have more of a room issue than an equipment issue. Adding more bass may make your problem worse. You may want to look into bass traps to try to fix the room.

You got it completely right CEC ... my friend has the same speakers .. same amplifier.

Listening position problem ... hmmm ..... I already noticed that when I bent over my table that the bass response gets better.

And the room doesn't allow a lot of moving around with my furniture ...

Listening position problem ... hmmm ..... I already noticed that when I bent over my table that the bass response gets better.

And the room doesn't allow a lot of moving around with my furniture ...

Well, you've identified the problem. Now its time to get the creative juices flowing and see what furniture re-arrangements you can do with the limitations of your room. Trust me - it will be worth it in the end.

Believe me wuzzer,.... iI already tried that and .. the main issue over here is that my room doesn't allow me to do a lot of shifting with my furniture so .... I decided to go for the SUB-12

Also because I used to have a Harman Kardon 5.1 set with a 10" downfiring woofer 250Watt ... I had a nice low back then.

The SUB-12 in combination with my RF-7's .... hmmm

I could get a brand new one out of germany on eBay for a nice price ... so I decided to go for it.

389€ ... that's at this very moment 517$ US and that' a very nice price for that kind of sub over here in belgium.