No base and distortion in mids

njksmith

Hello. My friends are telling me my old Bose sound better than my 2 KLF 30's in regards to bass and distortion. They say my KLF's have no bass and sound distorted in the mids. Can anyone give suggestions. I kind of think the bass could be better also. I have the speakers pointing out from the wall. Shoud they be directed inwards? Also i have bi-wire speaker cable. I have the HK 2.0 and 2.1 pre-amp and amp. My roommate says I have crossed wires and that is why it sounds distorted but i'm sure i have the wires hooked up correctly. what could be causing the weak bass and distortion? I was thinking perhaps it is the setup of my pre-amp that I am missing something on. Any help would be appreciated as I want to get my speakers sounding good. cwm23.gif

First I would check and recheck your speaker wiring just to make sure they are not wired out of phase. This can have detremental effects on base. Second, if they are against the walls I would pull them out a bit, maby up to two feet. This will help the base and also make it less muddied. You should have no complaints from the base comming from KLF 30s set up correctly. BTW I run KLF 20s.

Just asking since I do not know your knowledge level, but did you remove the gold jumper from the high and low posts on your speakers when you bi-wired. I do not know what would happen if you did not, but I do know it would not be good. If they are still there, remove them.

This message has been edited by aab3rd on 02-10-2002 at 04:30 PM

yes i removed the gold jumper between the posts before hooking up the speakers luckily. i will try moving them out from the wall like you suggested and see what happens. I have them right up against the wall at the moment. i'll triple check how i hooked up the speaker cables also. My roommate has an AIWA shelf system and his bass sounds better so I think there is a big problem. I'm going to go through the menus on my pre-amp to see if there is anything that I could have done wrong there.

NJK-

After you go though all the receiver settings and are convinced everything is where it's supposed to be I would definitely lean on the wall space part of it.

I drew up an Excel program where you can keep a good log of SPL at different distances form the wall, both from the side and the rear walls.

The test can take a couple hours to do (even longer if the speakers are on carpet). You'll need an SPL meter (Radio Shack and about $38 ?) and a pair of hearing protection type headphones.

While performing the test you should definitely turn the treble ALL the way down, not just in the middle but in the negative range. Don't want to burn out a tweeter diaphram. Turn the volume up to your normal listening level and use a testing sign wave cd or pink noise if you have it available. When you have the control setting set, mark that as 0db and don't touch any volume, tone controls or input settings on the SPL meter. This will upset the accuracy of the test. When your done look at the second sheet on the Excel workbook. The highest reading you get will tell you where the most SPL is at, both distance from the side wall and from the rear wall.

If you want the file let me know and I'll e-mail it to ya.

Good luck,

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-10-2002 at 05:06 PM

I would say there is a problem, Aiwa Bookshelf's put out more bass?

These should have plenty of good bass.

Check Phase, like Tom posted, check all the connections

between speakers and amp for Bad Connections etc..

Check if all the drivers are working, maybe the woofers gave up.

If you can get into the cabinet, check all the internal wire connections for the drivers.

The crossovers could be a problem, however unlikely. They might have electrolytic capacitors, and they dry out.

(crossover upgrade?)

If the crossover's had a problem, one of the driver's will more than likely not work.

If they pass all these, then I would suspect the amp and pre, and maybe see if anything is wrong there.

You should be pounding out bass, unless that HK amp and pre are really, really low powered.

I hope you get them taken care of, they are nice speakers.