rear center matching question

aab3rd

Currently I have for my system:

Mains: KLF 20s

Center: KLF C-7

Side surrounds: KSP-S6s

Rear surround: KSF-S5

This set up sounds fine but many people have said that a direct radiating speaker is better for rear surround, so here is my question. If I go with a direct radiating speaker should I use a KLF C-7 to compliment my front center or go with a KSP-C6 wich will better timber match the KSP-S6s? BTW for room and placement reasons I can only use one speaker for rear surround.

Well just to give you a free bump and a free opinion aab,I personally would use the C-7 for rear center.Reason being is that it would timbre match the other monopoles in your system while the more diffuse S-6's would be harder to detect a timbre mismatch.And I believe a monoploe is suggested for rear center use for 6.1.

Whaddaya gonna do with those KSF-S5's?

Keith

Aab3rd... you are on the threshold of Legends 5.1 HT experience that will set your system apart! If you have the space to make another KLF-20 your center in front... the KLF-C7 will make a great rear effects center.

The facts are, of course, that 5.1 sound was designed for five identical speakers (set to "SMALL") and a subwoofer (to handle the special chores of sub-80Hz "non-directional" sounds). The primary speaker in 5.1 is the front center... upwards of 75% of the total sound on 5.1 is goes through the center. For the present time, 6.1 (and above) sound is 5.1 plus a matrix of the side surrounds for the rear channel. Until discrete sixth channel sound is in the mix, you will do a whole lot better with your C7 in the rear than it is now doing in the front... providing you upgrade to a proper center in front.

Direct radiating speakers and discrete, full-range 5.1 (or above) sound go hand in hand... it was the old "ProLogic" era technology that used less than full-range sound to give auditory "clues" to side-surround speakers that put diffused "ambient" sound into the room. 5.1 is about hearing sounds coming from the location the audio engineer who mixed the movie wanted to re-create in your living room. 5.1 minimizes the effect of the acoustics of your room by directing sound to one of five places in your room... with the expectation that all speakers are the same.

My abbreviated equipment list (and photos on this website) reveal that I put my money where my mouth is.

Check it out cwm15.gif

===========================================

Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

===========================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways to Someday!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in constant homage of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

Thanks for the input!

Horn Ed, as far as the use of a KLF-20 for center, I have considered that after reading your posts. I just need to find a single in good shape to mod. I an a little leary of Mo on e-bay and i have not seen any other single 20s. What about a KLF-10 as opposed to a 20 BTW? I would like to go with 20s all around but the room (because of a door and the computer hutch) will not allow itcwm43.gif.

Keith, if I go with a direct radiating rear center, the S-5s will be for sale. BTW they are white which look good in my room (as well as the fact that my S-6s are white).

This message has been edited by aab3rd on 02-17-2002 at 04:36 PM

HornEd,

Your background soundstage has an "effects" speaker as well as the standard HT L/R surround speakers. What signal is driving this speaker? Some people mention a rear center channel. Are these both Dolby Surround EX speakers?

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

Aab3rd & Charlie Tuna, sorry I was a little slow in answering your questions. First, a modified KLF-10 makes a great center speaker for 10's, 20's, and 30's... better than the C7 in my experience. Although the ideal is to have the same center as you have L&R mains. Actually, for HT, I suspect a KLF-20 center with KLF-10's as L&R mains would likely be better than the reverse (which would be likely better for music).

On my list is to convert one of my KLF-10's (I have 3 in reserve) to a center to do some tests. I'll post the results... which may be awhile since I am working on the motorhome system at the moment.

Charlie, I am using a Yamaha RX3000 (which is available at half its original price) which has a 100 watt amp to feed a rear center channel. If the program material is 6.1 (like "The Gladiator") then the sixth KLF-30 is fed the discrete signal. If there is no discrete signal and the source is 5.1, then the receiver matrixes a rear effects channel from the two discrete side-surround sources. Consequently, most of my 200 DVD's are effectively rendered in 6.1 to the awe of my frequent guests.

The Yamaha also has two 25 watt channels for Front Effects. The Front Effects channels are matrixes from the L&R Mains. This allows the KLF-30's to be close to the 65" RPHD monitor and the KLF-C7's to be high in the corners to widen the sound stage for a more theater like effect. Since HT puts so much on the Center Main and takes so much away from the L&R Mains, I find the added boost of the Front Effects to make a better overall soundstage balance.

Finding a single KLF-20 isn't easy these days... but if you found a pair you could convert one and use the other for a dandy 6.1 rig. Another alternative would be to turn a pair of KLF-20's into Custom Centers and sell one of them... and use your KLF-C7 as the Rear Effects Speaker... it will do quite well in that capacity.

Of course, I am speaking from the standpoint of sound... and not decor! Don't want to offend the significant others that might be lurking. Hope this is some help! cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"LEADING 8 LEGENDS INTO THE 6.1 GENERATION!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in search of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-19-2002 at 09:09 PM

I went from a Yamaha DSP-A2070 (banished to my bedroom) to a Yamaha DSP-A1 for my music /HT system. I guess I'm just not educated enough to be out buying this kinda stuff. Next time I'll do it right (yeah, right).

CT

------------------

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!