Building speakers into a wall

uncleAl

Hi Uncle Al. I've got a recessed subwoofer "coffin" behind my upstairs playroom wall housing 8 12" woofer with only a 15 x 15" opening into the room covered by a grill cloth. Sounds great and uses no floor space. I have the woofers firing into the attic (IB). Neighbors get to hear some wear sound sometimes!!!!

If you have some open space behind the wall you can use the cabinet you have or build some larger cabinets which will extend the low end on the K-23-K woofers. I've got the specs on these and can give you some size info if you build. I would vent into the room since otherwise you would be venting into the back space which doesn't help. Should work well if you have the back space and want to save some floor space. I put a double layer of sheetrock on my sub wall. You can also use special sheetrock to this type installation. Good luck

According to the T/S specs I measured on the K-1036-E (not the K-23 in my post) each of the two woofers would need 59 liters (2.05cubic feet) of cabinet with a 4" diameter vent 5 13/16" long which will turn to 39.68 HZ. The internal dimensions of the KLF20 give about 97 liters (instead of 118 liters) without reducing for the displacement for the woofers, mid and tweeter, bracing etc. Using a 118 liter interior dimension with a 6" ID round port gives a port length of 16.8 inches. You gain about 6hz on the low end by using the bigger cabinet. You can go even larger in box size but it will produce a peak on the low end. As far as a rectangular port a 1" wide dimension would need to be 28.38" long and 16.8 inches deep. The larger the port area the longer the port. However the more narrow you make a vent the more you increase the possibility of vent noise at high volume. Hope this helps.

I have a pair of KLF 20s with the matching centre channel. I plan to build them into a wall, I wonder how much this will alter the sound when I build them into the wall in my basement. Has anybody have any similar experiences ?

I have one thought on this. Be very sure that the wall you build them in stays dry. Ice dams, clogged gutters, etc can casue water to run down the interior of the wall.

UncleAl,

i don't want to offend any other klipsch heads on here but.....if you want to build your speakers into a wall, there is one person (IMO) that you need to talk to. doing what you are talking about is not an easy task. it takes lots of extra money and time. contact Indyklipschfan on here and talk to him. there is a very specific way you need to do this, if you want the speakers to sound good. if you go cheap and easy, those nice speakers sound like *&*&^%%$.

hopefully he will chime in, if not just send him a pm. he has pics of his HT room and what he did. as far as "hidden speakers" in a HT room goes, i bet his sound the best. i personally like mine out to view.....

Welcome to the Forums!