Price advice on 1979 Cornwalls

carbon summit

I ran across a pair of Cornwalls in my area and am thinking about using them in the basement part of a 2 channel system. The owner say they are in good condition. There is one chip in the fronts of one of them. Described as the chip is in the shape of an upside down triangle. the base is about 3/8 in wide and about an inch long. they are birch raw but have been painted black. If I strip them can I putty that chip or will it look like crap? I have no refinishing experience. Would it be better to get some veneer? I'd like them to be oak oil to match my other stuff but its not totally important to me either.

So I guess what I'm asking is what is a good price on these considering the chip and black paint? They are all original as far as drivers and crossovers just need to be refinished. What does it cost put veneer on them? How much work is it? Any advice or info would be appreciated.

post-33518-13819437993886_thumb.jpg

Bottom line depends on

1. Do they sound OK ? Any problems ?

2. What is the seller asking?

3. Prices range between 400-800 Generally

4. I would not worry at this time about the looks, more on the internal componets and sound....New Crossovers will cost about 175.00 from Bob Crites (price may vary).............JMHO.

$500 is a great price. Darn... should have jumped on it before he changed his mind!

There's a set with asking price of $800 near me... seller says there's a remote buyer but he'd prefer to sell locally. I'm planning to offer $700, firm. These are circa 1983. No caps replaced and he says it sounds beautiful (tube amp). Has them hooked up for a test run. Thoughts?

~Gary

I contacted that seller outside of Rapid City way back in Oct. when he had them listed on Craig's List, took him awhile to respond to my email but when he did he said he was willing to meet me in Gillette to complete the transaction, but then I never heard another word from him and he never responded to my email, I figured he sold them, looks like he/she just can't make up thier minds.

People with Cornwalls seem to love them so maybe you can't blame the guy not wanting to let them go.

Like I said before I think it was a WAF issue along with wanting to free up some cash for his home remodel. We spoke on the phone and he said to give him until Monday to think about it. We both had Monday off so it worked out perfect. I called him (so I thought) and left a message to call me back with his decision. I got a call about 6:30pm from the person I had misdialed telling me I had called and left a message at the wrong number which was nice of them. You have to love people here in the Midwest. So I dialed the right number and got him. He said he decided to sell them and I could still come get them that night for $450. You know how it is, you're at home, its after dinner and leaving is the last thing you want to do. It's snowing outside and he lives up in the Black Hills so who knows what the roads are like, plus add a half hour drive each way plus a good half hour or more to BS about Klipsch stuff which we all would do...

I decided to wait until the next day and try to leave work a little early to go pick them up. The next morning he called and said he thought about it more and talked it over with his wife and he decided to keep them.

Do I regret not getting in my truck and getting them that night? Yes.

If he had called me back the next morning with seller's remorse and wanted them back would I have sold them back to him? Yes.

So all in all if a Klipsch owner got to keep big old speakers in the living room I say its a victory for us all!!!

OK that being said, new rule: Stop posting in this thread, every time I get an email from it more salt gets rubbed in my wound!

Just kidding [:P]

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but keep your eyes open as I may be selling my 77 Cornies later this year. I've been wanting to try a coax speaker, namely the Altec 604 or the PAudio 15", just can't justify the cost at this time for what may or may not be an improvement in sound quality.