La Scalas are back

sootshe

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool.

When you're done, take a little time and set up some lights and get some nice photos. I know you'll want to skip that step and go right to the listening part, but you'll be glad you've got really nice photos sometime down the road.

Greg

Very cool.

When you're done, take a little time and set up some lights and get some nice photos. I know you'll want to skip that step and go right to the listening part, but you'll be glad you've got really nice photos sometime down the road.

Greg

Yes, I know what you mean. I thought I'd take some when they're properly set up in the room. Should be about another week or two. Thanks for your inspiration to build these Greg.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the angle bracket for the mid driver....I just couldn't wait to hear them. I'll fit up a set of wooden brackets soon.

And the listening impressions.....

Fitted with Crites stamped frame woofers, K55/400 mids, Crites CT125 tweeters, & Crites 4500 crossovers.
The midrange is very open & detailed, also very smooth. Not peaky at all & certainly no harshness. Top end is crystal clear & very detailed....once again no harshness at all even at very high levels. Bass is reasonably extended ( cabinets have the bracing on the side walls) but very wooden sounding & lacks warmth. I don't think I could listen to them without a sub, however, with the Velodyne switched in it turns this system into a giant killer. Very smooth bottom end with heaps of slam & almost unlimited headroom. With the sub you can listen at more normal levels & still get that full, live sound.

In comparison to my Altec Model 19's, they are not as smooth & not as big a sound. They sound more constricted & don't disappear like the Altecs do. Their plus's are the bass slam, the airiness in the mids & tops & the extension in the top end.

So now I have two systems that I can listen to whenever the mood takes me!!
I think I have the best of both worlds.!!

post-32839-13819455931104_thumb.jpg

Those are very stunning. Congratulations on finishing them. Probably cheaper than having a pair of the real thing shipped from the U.S.

Bruce

Thanks Marvel........I estimate that these would be about half the price of the factory models. I think I've got a pretty good deal.