shocking (static?)

CDexter

Hi. I recently picked up the X5s and am generally pleased. I have, however, suffered from some mild shocks to my right ear while walking. I can only assume cold, dry air + lots of wool and friction... Or could this be a fault with the headphones? If it were simply a case of static, I would expect shocks to both ears, but it is only the right. Thoughts? I have not experienced this with other headphones, but the X5s are my first IEMs and I'm definitely going through an adjustment period... Thanks!

Thanks - a quick call to Klipsch tech support and these babies are going right back to the retailer for another pair. Actually a refund, which gives me (once again) the opportunity to debate - X5 or X10?

After a couple weeks with these, riding on the subway with my open air headphones is going to be very, very painful... SIGH

CDexter,

Welcome to the Madness In Your Ears (to paraphrase CP1). GLA51 beat me to the punch. My laptop was bogged down so I rebooted.

X5 or X10? How about both?

Seriously, here's my take on all the models

Custom 1

• I've not listened except maybe a prototype - which was very good but stomped by the IMAGE prototype (IMAGE became the Image X10)
  • I'm sure will totall stomp the (rhymes with hose) offering

Custom 2

• I've owned these since they first hit the market - just couldn't justify the coin required for the IMAGE as the Image X10 were called then
  • Woo hoo. These bad boy's ROCK. Thunderous bass. They have 2 (identical) armatures and did I mention they ROCK

Custom 3

• [:$] I've not actually listend to the Custom 3
  • The best bass, as good or better than the Image X10, with better hihgs than the Image X5
  • The audiophile's choice

Image X5

• To my ears, the highs are clearer (I think Professor Thump calls it a more forward and something else...) that thing called voicing
  • They're Image models man. The Custom for at least a few of us, take a bit of getting used to and some work to get a good sea - the Image models you can just stick in
  • When I've compared these a bit to my Custom 2 I didn't notice anything missing in the bass but the sound to me was so much clearer and open in the highs

Image X10

• Exceptionally tiny and easy to use. Just stick 'em in and forget they're there
  • We've since acquired a set of these (the Image X5 are too big for our youngest daughter's ear canals
  • Bass that's been referred to as "stentorian" - not sure what that means but these really got some killer bass

OK. All the models I'm sure ROCK. And by ROCK I mean they'll sound great with whatever music or anything you're listening to.

YMMV

If I had my choice, I'd go Image X5 but may miss the tiniest of the Image X10 as those suckers literally disappear in one's ears.

There are a lot of threads in the Headphones section. Click the options and select to show all posts instead of the default 2 months as there's a lot of information, including some very informative posts by the Professor Thump the engineer behind these bad boys.

And as Professor Thump likes to say "Stick 'em in your ears!" (or something like that)

(don't see GLA51 in the Headphones section much ... thinking of getting some?)

Let us know what goes down.

Trust me - I've been lurking (here and elsewhere) to make an informed decision. Since I'm forced to send the X5s back, I'm thinking this is an opportune time to stick another pair of Klipsch IEMs in my ears. Unsure about the Customs since I understand the fit can be a challenge, but it was my consideration of the Custom 3s that brought me here in the first place.

Oh, I'll be back...