RC 7 vs RC64

johnhart

• Moderators

Kain is correct. It's not really an issue of which is better but which is better for your setup. Since you have the RF-7's, I would match it with the RC-7. They are timbre matched so your front soundstage will be seamless. I had the RC-7 hooked up with my RF-83's and it is a fantastic speaker. I just recently sold it because of the low price of the cherry RF-64 and the fact that Klipsch is no longer making the cherry RC-64. I have not hooked it up yet, I will do that this weekend after the cabinets are installed. I'll be able to give my comparison after that. Good thing is that you can pick up a like new RC-7 anywhere from $350 - $550 which is still cheaper than you can get a RC-64 for.

I suppose its a moot point at this late date, but Klipsch support recommended the RC64 saying that he tested both with the RF7 and the RC64 was "more natural...both did and excellent job with the center dialog". I would be hard pressed to choose the RC64 again given the info you got from the previous posts. I am just passing along what I was told. I'm far from an expert but the RC64 sounds good with RF7. There may be a gap in the seam between the two that I can't hear. Like you I heard all the raves about the RC64 and chose them.

I suppose its a moot point at this late date, but Klipsch support recommended the RC64 saying that he tested both with the RF7 and the RC64 was "more natural...both did and excellent job with the center dialog". I would be hard pressed to choose the RC64 again given the info you got from the previous posts. I am just passing along what I was told. I'm far from an expert but the RC64 sounds good with RF7. There may be a gap in the seam between the two that I can't hear. Like you I heard all the raves about the RC64 and chose them.

I'd like to know who from Klipsch said that.

The RC7 is the CORRECT center for a pair of RF7 main speakers but I"m sure the RC64 is pretty close. The slight timbre mismatch would be in the frequency range of the crossover, around 2200-2500 Hz, something you may never pick up on in normal listening.

EDIT - To clarify, on the RC7 the first woofer gives up at 550 Hz, then a single woofer carries the brunt of vocal fundamentals up to 1950, where the horn and 1.75" driver take over

The RC64 has a completely different complement of speakers and network. In it, all four woofers work up until 1150 Hz, where a pair take over up to the 1800 Hz point, where the horn and 1" driver carry the rest of the spectrum.

It's that 550-2000 Hz bandwidth that are going to be different. That is the dialog range (human vocal fundamental tones). I've not A/B'd the two, but there has to be some differences. At least the woofer/horn crossover point is virtually identical.

I have done the test between a RC 3, a RC 7, a RC 7 with dean X-over upgrade and the RC-64.

No need to say the RC 3 was not in the same league. The normal RC 7 is not as smooth as RC 64 but it is more revealing and little more harsh. I could hardly hear a difference between the RC 7 with the X-over upgrade and the RC 64.

You will not be disappointed with either one regardless.

One thing I rarely see being discussed is the fact that the RC7 is a ported speaker and the RC 64 is not. I did noticed a differeence in the bass, the RC 7 being better to me.

• Like 2

I'd like to know who from Klipsch said that.

The RC7 is the CORRECT center for a pair of RF7 main speakers but I"m sure the RC64 is pretty close. The slight timbre mismatch would be in the frequency range of the crossover, around 2200-2500 Hz, something you may never pick up on in normal listening.

EDIT - To clarify, on the RC7 the first woofer gives up at 550 Hz, then a single woofer carries the brunt of vocal fundamentals up to 1950, where the horn and 1.75" driver take over

The RC64 has a completely different complement of speakers and network. In it, all four woofers work up until 1150 Hz, where a pair take over up to the 1800 Hz point, where the horn and 1" driver carry the rest of the spectrum.

It's that 550-2000 Hz bandwidth that are going to be different. That is the dialog range (human vocal fundamental tones). I've not A/B'd the two, but there has to be some differences. At least the woofer/horn crossover point is virtually identical.

I did Michael.

I felt it was a bit more natural between my RB-75's. Persoanly I felt the RC-7 was a bit "honky" after comparing in my system A to B.....they were both there for 3 months........

I did mention to shake777 that I used it between RB-75's and not the RF-7, but he may have missed that point, no worries

• 3 weeks later...

RC-7 might be spoken for.

It's me that is in the process of purchasing Michael's RC-7. Our Paypal account got hacked into a few days ago and is in "investigation mode". If you want it, please don't let me stop you from purchasing it. I was going to buy it to experiment using RC-7's as surrounds. Not that big of deal.