Tube comparison, WE 300B -vs- EH 300B ?

Coytee

Who might have heard them side by side?

If you had a single 300B amp (stereo) is it really worth the extra coins for the Western Electric 300B's over the EH?

For the difference in price, are we talking about a difference of Khorns using "A" verses "AA" networks or is it going to be a difference more like going from Heresy's to Khorns?

If someone has never heard a 300B amp (which I have not), would hearing the EH tubes in there be a sufficient audition or are the WE's the holy grail?

Who might have heard them side by side?

If you had a single 300B amp (stereo) is it really worth the extra coins for the Western Electric 300B's over the EH?

For the difference in price, are we talking about a difference of Khorns using "A" verses "AA" networks or is it going to be a difference more like going from Heresy's to Khorns?

If someone has never heard a 300B amp (which I have not), would hearing the EH tubes in there be a sufficient audition or are the WE's the holy grail?

The WE is the holy grail. If you have the money go for the WE. It is like driving a Jeep versus a Land Rover. In this case there is a reason they are expensive. I was happy with JJ300B but the WE is a step up.

I have a pair of WE 300B. They were offered to me at a bargin price because they seller owed me a huge favor (i.e., he owed me money but didn't have cash at the time). I have Welborne 300B DRDs that are currently using Valve Art 300B tubes. - I have never tried the WE in my Welbornes - I want to keep them new so I can sell them so I can get most of my money back.

I am very tempted to try them but dont because I am afraid that I might not hear a huge diffence and I forego the opportunity to sell that at maximum price (as they are currenly brand new in box - and once they are open, they are labled USED event thought they might only have 0.5 hour on them).

I either plan to sell them very soon, or hope that someone can convice me to keep them because they are sure there is that much of a difference.

Excuse me for going a bit off topic but it was the price of the WE300B that convinced me to go with 2A3 mono's instead of 300B mono's, also the fact that most people prefer the sound of 2A3's over 300B's. I knew that if I went with 300B's it wouldn't be long and I would just have to try the Western Electrics, IMHO the price the WE's are going for is insane.

It is like driving a Jeep versus a Land Rover.

Which one would be the "WE 300b?"

I like Land Rover or at least the one I had. I've heard WE300B on a half dozen occasions and thought it was great. Is it worth the extra $$$$$. If you want the best it is. I couldn't justify the cost so I stuck with the JJ300B. It seems if the name Western Electric is associated you'd better hide yer wallet alleged NOS or new production.

I've heard them side by side and the Western Electric is much better in tonality, musciality, all around.

However, if your budget is limited, the EH's are a "best buy". It's a tube I could live with. In fact, I like them better than the TJ meshplate. The TJ meshplate is "mushy" sounding, a very colored tubey, romantic sound. They probably sound good on very bright Lowther single driver speakers. A cure for overly bright speakers.

If you have a choice, buy "American" 300B's and 2A3's, 50's & 45's (the last three are vintage). They're the real deal (the standard) where the rest of the world attempts to copy.

My $0.02,

Pete

Guest David H

Although I have never heard the WE 300b, I have hear a few, and none were better than "Sophia Electric Princess" on Klipsch Heritage.

A good source for this tube is http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com/ give him a call for pricing, really nice guy.

Not affiliated, and I am not endorsing Aural Thrills products.

I believe the Sophia Princss based on the TJ Meshplate tube. http://www.sophiaelectric.com/

This is the old speaker wire, capacitor, nos vs reissue, line conditioner vs surge protector, question.....I can hear a difference except when I can't hear a difference.

WIth revealing speaker systems like Klipsch Heritage, it's pretty easy to discern the differences between output tubes and driver tubes as well, especially on Single-Ended-Triode amplifiers.

The mesh plate varieties (IMHO) that are made in China, sound "slow, sluggish and very lush (in a colored sense)". This includes the Sophia Electric 2A3 & 300B varieties that I "briefly" owned. If you think (or on your system) that the Klipsch Heritage sound "bright", you probably would like the mesh plates for a more romantic sound.

I currently own WE 300B's, KR 300B's, RCA 50's, Sylvania VT-10A's as well as Philco 10's. These all can be substituted on my SET 300B-50-10 convertible monoblocks. It's real easy, even for non-audiophiles, to hear the differences in the output tubes. For driver & input tubes, it's slightly more challenging to discern sonic differences, but you can actually measure different hum levels (mV's) with different input & driver tubes as well as microphonics...

I have a lot more difficulty in hearing differences between speaker cables, interconnects and power cords, especially power cords. I don't think I'd pass a double-blind test when it comes to "wires".

My $0.02,

Pete