Help With Entire System

samcat

Need help people putting together a home theater system!My old one is 10 yrs old,not worth keeping i'm giving it to a friend.I'm not up to date on rec or speakers.So much has changed.My living room is about 16x20.I don't want to go to small or have to upgrade for some time.For a rec. i've had in mind Onkyo 595 the same power as my old one(75)which was more than enough.For speakers i've been looking at Klipsch Reference Series or B&W Digital Monitor Series.

For Klipsch,front rf-3 or rb-5, center rc-3,rear rb-3,sub rsw-10

For B&W,front dm-602s2,rear dm-601s1,center cmc,sub asw-1000.

Also a Toshiba DVD sd-2800.I'm on a tight budget living here in T.O

Can. where we don't have mail orders and the dollar takes a kicking.Thanks Signed Confused

Samcat-

couple questions... How much are you wanting to spend? and What will be your primary usage, HT or music?

That said...

I would be tempted to go with the RB-5s, since they are the same price and ppl have reported that they have a more transparent sound then the RF-3s.

Toss the RSW-10 sub and get an SVS subwoofer, the can only be bought online @ www.svsubwoofers.com

They make excelent subs at a great price.

Be sure you can audition the Klipsch with the Onkyo, I believe the okkyo's produce a brighter sound and combining them with the brighter Klipsch might not be to your liking.....Alot of ppl around here will recomend a Denon for the klipsch.

------------------

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~dbl23/hometheater.htm

All I can say is that I am very happy with my system for HT. I also like my RB-5's in my stereo set-up. If you want a good all-around speaker that can handle music as well as HT, and you don't have space limitations, I prefer the RF-3's over the RB-5's (a little more SLAM factor). I don't feel that the RB-5's are any more transparent... of course they are not positioned as well as the RF-3's are though. That will make a difference. Good luck on whatever you decide.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

Samcat, do Canada proud, if it's too tight to swing an SVS, pick up a great deal in Canada P2200. One way to cut the cost of an SVS tube is to supply your own power amp... anything you can wire up to provide 350 watts at 4 ohms will amaze you.

But the sub is the second most important speaker for an HT system for now and the future... a killer center is the most important choice. Pick a full-range for your center and then add supportive left and right mains. More HT sound goes through your center than all the rest of your speakers put together... and then some.

The Ref series will keep you happy for years to come, just "horizontalize" the center as I have done. It is not that hard... and it can double the enjoyment of your HT... best tweak I ever made. cwm32.gif HornEd

===========================================

Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

===========================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways to Someday!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Stacked Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in constant homage of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

Thanks for the feedback!Plan on spending $5,500 - $6,000 ttl. can.

The main use will be music.Space limitations not a problem.The klipsch for front,center and rear.

The svs look good for the sub.Thanks

Still have'nt decided on a rec.or a

make or model dvd.Would appreciate any more input on any of this.

sam: you've got mail or a private message...

I would recommend RF-3s, RB-3s, Paradigm PW-2200, Denon 3802, Panasonic DVDRV41, and a choice of either a RC-3 or a pair of RF-3s, making centers out of the speakers and sticking them in the front and rear as centers. Depending on budget and practicality, this may or may not be possible.

Please no Onkyo with Klipsch, bad results in most cases. PW-2200 will hold you until you want another. You could go without a center for now and use the phantom mode on the Denon, to wait until you can explore the additional RF-3s option.

I did not take into account the fact that you may need a monitor/TV included in the 6,000$ budget. Watch out for the taxes and cables, they are expensive. Use Radio Shack Gold for all your interconnect needs, apart maybe from the component video cable. As for speaker wire, I could see myself going for Monster simply for corrosion prevention (have seen cable corrode, not pretty), or else big ol' 12-gauge generic wire.

------------------

Bass is good...

This message has been edited by Seb on 02-12-2002 at 10:52 PM

Sam,

If you want a inexpensive and great performing DVD take a serious look at the Toshiba 5700 DVD player,its full featured and the picture quality is second to none in its price range,HDCD and the works.Its way under $400!

If you are ready to spend a bit more on a DVD player the new Pioneer ELITE units are again top performers.

Considering your budget I would get the Toshiba 5700 and spend more on the reciever(Denon 4802)and get the SVS CS-Plus(pair with Samson 1000 amp),

For speakers I would look at the RF-5's for mains,RC-7 ..as center and RP-7's for sourrounds.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEar, you're more knowledgeable than me when it comes to the Klipsch Refs...

Why RF-5s, when the improvement in quality/sound isn't as big as the additional expense compared to RF-3s, and why RC-7 instead of a pair of RF-3s for center and surrounds?

------------------

Bass is good...

Seb,

RF-5's are more smooth sounding and they can be had in the very good looking cherry finish(if finish is important to ya).

RF-3's for sourrounds would be great,but for center!?Yes it woukld be ideal if the buyer has plenty of space and a projector(center placed behind the projector screen).

In the real world the RC-7 is one mighty center and fits on most TV(even my small Toshiba 27"!...with the help of rubber feet).

TheEAR(s) Now theears