Thoughts on JBL 2470?

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

Anyone familiar with the JBL 2470? I've had the itch to try the JBL drivers, but haven't known which route to go. According to this spec sheet, it rolls off pretty rapidly above 8-10k, so it'll definitely need a tweeter. Ideally, I'd really like to go 2 way, but it seems hard to find a driver that can swing the whole range itself. Guess I should probably go with a 2 inch and a tweeter then? My plan is to use my Cornwall's cab and 15" as the LF, and a JBL driver and horn sitting on top as HF. Of course I'm assuming a new crossover would be required.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jon

I have a pair of used 2470's that I'll be running with my LaScalas. I'm going to mount them to gothover's 1" tractrix horns, and cross them to an APT-200 tweet. I still have to get the x-over designed and built. I'll report back if that ever gets done ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, if you really want to do a two-way, the altec 902 would work. It
goes low enough to work with the CW, and with a bit of passive EQ, you'd be golden.

As far as the 2470's, I've cleaned mine up and pieced them back together. I don't have the tractrix or the crossovers sorted out yet, so just hooked them up the K400's with my A's, and they sounded nice. The k55's have a glare to them that I've always attributed to the k400, but it's not there with the 2470's. I'm happy so far. Natural and detailed.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the helpful information. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I just know I'm really finding flaws in the Cornwalls that are getting harder to live with. mainly a significant midrange "horny" type coloration that the more I notice, I cannot ignore. Strings, esp. violins, just don't sound like strings. Orchestral mallet instruments - bells, marimba, etc sound harsh and grating. This with a VTL ST-85 tube amp no less. However, I am using a SS Marantz DD/DTS receiver as a preamp (using the preamp outs), so I'm sure that's less than ideal. The need for more research is clearly indicated.

-Jon