Ortofon RS-212 tonearm?

Chicago_Pete

Anyone here have any experience with this model?

I recently bought a TD124 and this arm was included.
I really can't mess with it because it was missing the weight on the rear of it.
Found one on Ebay in Denmark, $70 bucks shipped, yikes!

So is it worth fooling with or should I just go for an SME 3009?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pete, I've got one of these and like it. It's on my Empire TT. The extra weight is for heavier cartridges, I think about 11 grams, but you can go to Vinyl Engine and download the instruction manual. I think I read somewhere that back in the day it was equivalent to a Rega 300.

I like it. Definetly gives a 'fast" sound to my setup. It is a pita to dial in though and I would use a scale and a test record for tracking and anti-skating. Also be careful of the arm lift, it seems to be just a fancy lever and drops pretty fast. I'm using mine with an Ortofon MO30.

By the way it 's worth about $200 so don't just toss it in a drawer.

Do you still have the TD124 with the SME 3012? Just wondering if this was in addition to that one or replaced it. Some of you guys go through so much gear it's hard to keep up [:D] I'm in the middle of rebuilding my TD124. I'll post a teaser pic when the chassis gets back from the body shop.

Hey Pete i've been meaning to ask you about Vito & Nick's on Pulaski. Is that near you. I saw it on Diners, Drive-Ins, &Dives last month. Looks like a place I need to check out.

Jeremy

Jeremy, regrettably the old 124 / 3012 combo was sold for what I thought was insane money.
Haven't seen another early 3012 like mine since, big mistake.

Vito & Nicks is about a ten minute ride from my house.
It's the best pizza I have ever had.
Phil's pizza on 35th and Aberdeen in Bridgeport is a close second.
They have been around since 1960.

Hey, congrats on joining the RS-212 club! I've got the same problem as Marty with the cuing lever. I fiddled with it a bit, and I figure it's lost some damping fluid. There's hardly any solid info online about this arm. You probably have found this, but I'm attaching the manual (I got it from The Vinyl Engine). Pay close attention to section 4, recalibrating the ani-skate. Basically, when you've zero-balanced the arm with a chosen headshell/cartridge, the anti-skate spring should be relaxed. It's a little complicated (I still don't think mine is completely right), and may require reading several times. It's one of those 2-part adjustments where you get one thing right, then adjust the other thing, and then you have to go back and adjust the first thing again (et cetera, et cetera). It's fun!

Let me know if you have any questions (or answers...!).

vinylengine_ortofon_rs-212.pdf

• 7 months later...

Found this thread and I thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas on what I could use to replace the black rubber/plastic compression part in the ortofon arm lift in the attached picture. Mine is all dried out and it appears that some one has dug at it an enlarged the hole so that the lift has some play in it.