Found my Forte II center channel

carbon summit

This one is the worst of the two. If you look at the picture of the pair this is the right one. On that pic you can see the woofer looks like someone repaired the dust cap or something. It has a pretty good chip on the rear right side and the passive has a gouge in it. Its not all the way through but its still there.

post-33518-13819445896618_thumb.jpg

The left one in the first pic has a better cabinet but the riser has water damage. It has a chip in a corner and a few spots where the veneer isn't right but you have to look to notice. It looks worse in the pic than it really is. The flash really shows it well. The riser on the rougher of the two looks like the grain of the veneer is a good match for the bad riser one so a quick swap and I'll have one good one and one with a bad riser, gouged passive and chipped cabinet. The white stuff sticking out is the rear sticker.

post-33518-13819445909798_thumb.jpg

I'm listening to them now and everything works and they sound fine, just look a little rough when you get close and check them over. I figure they are good guinea pigs for all the questions I've been asking. "should I get a Forte II for a center?" , "are Forte II's worth it in the rear or should I just keep my little KG 2.5s?". I can use one for a center and see how much better it really is than the Academy. I can use them as rears and see if its worth the floor space they take. I know my 2.5s on stands aren't really that much smaller but they seem like it when you look at them. Another thought I've had is instead of hiding them in the rear put them up front. the walk way into the living room brings everyone by one of my two Forte IIs. If you have kids you probably understand where I'm going with this thought... Sacrifice the rough ones to the mishaps that seem to come with kids.

I guess I forgot to say I paid $275 for the pair. Considering nice pairs are going for $450 I wasn't sure if I paid too much or not. These were across town from me so no shipping or travel expense. And like I said above I can play with them and see what I want to do next as far as center and surrounds. I'm justifying now so I must be worried I paid too much...

I still regret not buying your Quartet center but I think a Forte II will work better if I mount the TV on the wall and use a stereo rack to hold my stereo stuff and set the Forte II next to it. I'm not sure.... the Academy fits so well with what I've got going now which is why I ended up not buying it.. I'm not sure I want to bolt my TV to the wall. I'll put one of the Forte IIs up front and see if its worth it before I get too excited about drilling holes in my walls.

Life is pretty good when these are the big decisions in our lives!!!

This is my current setup in the front. Pretty simple compared to some of the systems I've seen on the show me your HT thread but it works for me.

I can raise my TV about another inch or so but thats it so the Quartet sitting on it's side just wouldn't have worked. So to add a Forte II I need to scrap what I've got now and get a simple stereo rack and set the Forte II next to it and mount the TV on the wall. I'm just not too hot on screwing a TV mount on the wall. Kind of permanent. If you notice the first pic I posted on this thread you can see a mark in the carpet by the left speaker. Thats where the HT center used to sit. My point is until I'm done moving stuff around I don't want anything too permanent.

The Panamax MAX 5300-EX is in the middle of the bottom shelf because I just sold my Rotel amp and I'm looking for a replacement to fill the spot. I debating between another Rotel, either the 1075 or 1095, or maybe a Emotiva XPA-5 since a lot of people seem to think highly of Emotiva on this forum.

post-33518-13819445930368_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I think thats a very good price, I paid $150 more for a set with a few small chips, they were local and I am not that picky at used prices if everything works fine. Unless you walk up and inspect them you would never know, it was better than waiting much longer to find a perfect pair.

You did good, now time to play, it's only Sheetrock when you get the placement figured out find a stud ( not with a mirror) and drive some screws ! [Y]

I took the KG 2.5s out and put the new Forte IIs in at rear. I have not watched a movie yet but listening to music the difference is huge!!. If I can get the center position sorted out and get another pair of Forte IIs for the rear I think I'll be really thrilled with my setup...But I thought that when I had KG 5.2s in the front, 3.2s in the rear and KV 2 at center so who know where this ends!!!

Does your TV have a stand where you could set it on top of the Forte? It would definitely support the weight of the TV and then you won't have to wall-mount it.

I haven't heard boo from the guy who bought my Quartet, I'm assuming he got it in good condition but he's never answered any of my emails to him about it.

Even though a Quartet and Forte II share drivers and have similar components I think you'll like having three exact matching speakers across the front much better. If I would have had an ideal setup for my Quartet I would have kept it but it was just so huge of a speaker that it would have meant getting a different TV or a totally different TV stand and I didn't want to do that just to accomodate a center speaker.

I'm actually enjoying my 4.1 (4.2?) setup better than I did with the Quartet. The Quartet was so huge sitting in front of my TV that with it gone my TV looks a lot bigger now. [:)]

When I was looking at yours I looked at the specs other than being shorter by about 4 inches its petty much the same size as a Forte II. Before that for some reason I just thought the Quartets were smaller. I measured it out when I was looking at buying yours and knew your Quartet was too big because like you said it meant getting a different TV stand and I didn't want to do that just to accommodate a center speaker. Now some how I bought these to Frankenstein them together to make one center channel. Funny how we can talk ourselves into doing something we know isn't ideal just to add a bigger Klipsch speaker!!!!

I'll probably put one of the two Forte IIs in front in some temporary way tonight and watch a movie to see if its worth messing up my setup that I'm actually pretty happy with as far as the way looks and works.