solder stations

colterphoto1

Blindman's got me beat. Mil spec is class three at worst, and I can imagine some of the requirements for various specific applications. At my place of business, we are annually certified to IPC-A-610 (just finished my 21st re-cert last week). We are held to at least class two work, class three for certain applications.

400 F is much too low. A good standard start temp for an average iron is 700F. Dwell time shouldn't be more than three seconds.

400 F is much too low. A good standard start temp for an average iron is 700F. Dwell time shouldn't be more than three seconds.

The melt temp of my solder ranges from 380-425. Wouldn't going to 700 be overkill/possibly damage xover parts from heat transfer? I take precautions and use heat sinks, but I got good flow with Cardas quad eutectic at 400.

No, not at all. You're in danger of creating cold solder joints. Most standard solders will flow that low, but you should never run your iron at that low of a temp. Components, wiring, circuit board traces, etc. all act as heat sinks. 700F is the typical starting temp for most general soldering. Turn your iron up, you are not going to damage your x-over components. Just be mindful of your dwell time.

No, not at all. You're in danger of creating cold solder joints. Most standard solders will flow that low, but you should never run your iron at that low of a temp. Components, wiring, circuit board traces, etc. all act as heat sinks. 700F is the typical starting temp for most general soldering. Turn your iron up, you are not going to damage your x-over components. Just be mindful of your dwell time.

I shall do that. BTW: I remember when Church street in Burlington (and areas about) used to sell Klipsch. Plattsburgh (Frank at the sound room) had them as well, for a bit less.

I shall do that. BTW: I remember when Church street in Burlington (and areas about) used to sell Klipsch. Plattsburgh (Frank at the sound room) had them as well, for a bit less.

You have a good memory, that was City Stereo, just off from Church Street. I bought my first Klipsch there, a pair of unfinished Cornwalls in '87. I sold them in '89/'90 and, oddly enough, the guy I sold them to just put them up on Craigslist . Unfortunately he carpeted them, so it will be a bit of work to get them presentable. Not familiar with Franks, but I bet forum member Frzninvt is.

Got the work bench setup with parts bins in the shop just yesterday, got a hankering to solder something...

It's time I had a nice one, flexible but not too spendy.

Suggestions?

Using a Rat Shack station that doesn't cut the mustard! I'm looking at the Haako 936 which is not too pricey at $75. Here's the link;

http://www.kimcodistributing.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=461&ITEM_ID=7&gclid=CPCoofuXy6ECFSYJswod91aUdQ

How was Key West?

Herb