New projector arrived today!

Youthman

Youthman, I read on your other forum that you calibrated the projector. How difficult or easy was that to do? The after shots look amazing! I was also wondering if you have had a chance to play any games from the ps3 on there? Just wondering how that looked. Something else I have been wondering was how difficult was it to set up/build the screen? Sorry for all the questions! Just trying to figure out what all I will be getting into when I add a projector some day.

• Moderators

Youthman, I read on your other forum that you calibrated the projector. How difficult or easy was that to do? The after shots look amazing!

I bought the Avia II disk on Ebay. If you get it, be sure it comes with the three filters. There are two guys that give a tutorial for each calibration, explaining what you need to be looking for. Example, they show you an image on screen similar to this image.

calibration_map_lgt_wrk_flw.jpg

They demonstration when you crank the contrast up, the squares begin to blend together which is what you do not want. They suggest that you should have an equal amount of separation between the shaded squares. Then when they are finished explaining, they put the image on the screen for about 2 - 3 minutes to give you time to go into the projector and adjust the contrast levels.

They continue this process for color, (using colored filters held over one of your eyes), tint, red push etc. It's pretty easy and straight forward, but I'm not sure my judgement and accuracy with it is the best. LOL. I'm not color blind but sometimes, I can't tell which is the best setting, even using the test patterns.

I was also wondering if you have had a chance to play any games from the ps3 on there? Just wondering how that looked.

Yes. I played some Medal of Honor: Airborne last night. It's so much easier to see on a 103" screen as opposed to a 17" LCD TV. [:D] To me it looked great. I'm not a videophile so I don't know what to look for like some do as far as black levels, motion blur (or whatever they used to have a problem with) etc. Again, this is my first projection and it is all I have to compare it to but to me, it's pretty amazing.

Speaking of the PS3, when listening to music, I normally have the swirly smokey lines that animate as the background. I believe I hit the square on the remote and the background changed to outerspace video clips. Earth rotating, stars slowly moving. That was pretty sweet!

Something else I have been wondering was how difficult was it to set up/build the screen?

Screen was very simple. 15 minutes, we had it put together. I have not mounted it yet because it will be mounted flush with the front of my entertainment center once it is built but that seems fairly straight forward as well. If you look at my HT Build Thread in my signature, I talk more about the process of putting it together.

Sorry for all the questions! Just trying to figure out what all I will be getting into when I add a projector some day.

How dare you ask so many questions. I should put you on restriction and take away all of your Klipsch toys for a week! [:P] That's what this forum is for. Ask all the questions you want. If we didn't like answering questions, we would not be here. Good luck in your quest!