Tonearm wiring

fini

As some know, I'm using an Ortofon RS-212 tonearm on my Thorens. The arm has an oddball 7-pin socket (same layout as 7-pin miniature tubes). I think I'll be making a new plug, with new wires running from the plug to either some RCA jacks mounted on the back of the plinth, or terminated with RCA plugs (headed for the step-up transformer).

My question is, what would be a good choice of wire, and how should the wires be configured (twisted? All 5 together?). Can they resonably be run for 1 meter, or so? Thanks!

Did the Ortofon come with your table? I've been researching TT science for my garrard. Looks like a nice 12" arm which is the route I've chosen as well so I am really interested in how you progress. If you don't find answers here the forum at vinyl engine is full of TT gurus.

Did the Ortofon come with your table? I've been researching TT science for my garrard. Looks like a nice 12" arm which is the route I've chosen as well so I am really interested in how you progress. If you don't find answers here the forum at vinyl engine is full of TT gurus.

I've seen some of your posts over there! I find it sorta like pulling hens teeth to get answers there (a bit better than the Vinyl Engine, though!). Pehaps my questions are a little too specific.

Anyway, yes, this is the arm that came with my turntable. I'm very happy with it. It works very well with my Denon 103 (and should also with my Zu 103R).

Hey Pete,

$960, huh? Don't worry, I won't screw it up![;)]...intentionally...Besides, I'm only interested in rewiring it from the 7-pin plug out (not inside the arm itself). BTW, if you need a new 7-pin plug for your arm, I had to buy four of them (minimum order), and only need one.

Here is an old thread about tonearm wiring. Unfortunately all the useful links in that thread are dead now.

I rewired my SME3012 with 33ga cardas tonearm wire. I cannot say it is an easy job. The most difficult part for me was soldering the thin wire onto the three spring loaded pins in the front end of the tonearm. Too much heat could melt the plastic housing and/or damage the springs.

Kudret

I've seen some of your posts over there! I find it sorta like pulling hens teeth to get answers there (a bit better than the Vinyl Engine, though!). Pehaps my questions are a little too specific.

Anyway, yes, this is the arm that came with my turntable. I'm very happy with it. It works very well with my Denon 103 (and should also with my Zu 103R).

I'm still processing the information they gave me. They really helped me allot or at least two of them did. Does the Denon 103 live up to the hype?