Custom 3 fit issues, non sizing related

theunionjack

Hi guys,

I've had my custom 3's for a few weeks now, and I really love everything about the sound. far superior to my last IEMs. Unfortunately, I cannot get these earphones to fit me in a way that does not
cause me serious pain. I literally cannot
wear them for longer than 20 minutes before they hurt to the point
where I have to take them off, and when that happens, removing them
from my ear is even more painful, particularly in the right ear. This is not a sizing issue- I've tried every size on multiple occasions, and I've even used the tips with other earphones. The only ones that seem unoffensive right now are the small size, but i can't get a good seal. I don't think it's even a question of propertly fitting them into my ear- I've read many if not most of the existing accounts on fitting issues.

When the main body of the earphone sits against my ear, it will become extremely uncomfortable on the lower ridge between the concha and the tragus,

extear.jpg

Has anyone had this same kind of pain outside of the ear?

• 2 weeks later...

Different strokes for different folks...

Unfortunately not all people can wear any particular headphone model. Custom series is no exception to this rule. IMHO Custom 3 is the best sounding IEM of our Klipsch line of products but another close sounding second is IMAGE X5. If you can't wear C3 you may want to return it and purchase the X5. Have you tried all the eartips that come with C3?

have you tried using foam tips instead of the gel ones that come with the custom 3's? my ears used to get sore with the gels (though not as quickly as yours, I was usually tender after around 4-6 hours..) but since I switched to making my own ear tips out of foam ear plugs, I can wear them comfortably all day at work every day and never know there were ever there after I take them out.. personally, even though I thought they sounded superb with the ear gels, I think they sound even better with the foam tips.. if you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll see if I can't snap a few pics and explain the process..

I switched to making my own ear tips out of foam

if you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll see if I can't snap a few pics and explain the process

If I'm understanding you correctly, I say BRING IT ON!!! Love to see it.

I had foam tips with my Ety', but they never sounded as good as the rubber. I think this makes sense as the rubber creates the better seal IMO. Bonus points for the unique solution though. I would imagine that there might be some foam tips made specifically for IEMs that may fit the Custom series. Donno though.

Professor Thump- I have tried every single tip multiple times in this ear. Left ear is quite satisfied with the double filange, but nothing will feel right in the other ear, let alone seal. Very disappointing because I love the sound! Why the X5 over the x10?

I had foam tips with my Ety', but they never sounded as good as the rubber. I think this makes sense as the rubber creates the better seal IMO.

just did some quick looking on google.. did the tips you tried look anything like this?

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=157

if so, were they as coarse and stiff as they look in the picture? the ear plugs I use are VERY soft and can be reshaped with very little pressure at all, so they tend to form fit to your ear canal when they get in, making a very good seal (for me any way) without putting much pressure on the ear canal itself.. just a thought as I've never had any experience with manufactured foam tips on IEM's before.. if you haven't been over there yet, check the pics I posted, you'll see what I'm talking about..

-Alan-