MFW-15 Opinions

KlipschHead281

i bought a mfw-15 for $530 shipped. the fit and finish was very good. the amp in mine worked well, but i did have to remove it and re-route a few wires inside to get rid of a hum. this is a problem with most of them and there is a thread in their forum showing how to 'seperate' certain wires to get rid of the hum. i sold mine only because i was just curious to see how it sounded and wanted something else. having gone from a rsw-15 straight to the mfw, i can tell you a few of the differences. the rsw was a little boomy at times, but was mostly articulate. THE thing i didn't like about the rsw was the inability to play lower frequencies. below 30hz or so, it fell off drastically. the mfw actually had a lot of the articulate characteristics of the rsw, but also had the ability to play low. it outperformed the rsw in almost all respects. having said that, the whole failing amp issue they have had with these, makes buying one a crapshoot. i don't think getting a replacement amp would be an issue, but the fact of having to deal with it makes it a tough call whether or not to buy one? in all fairness, the rsw has clearly a superior amp and driver(s), not to mention looks the part. the mfw just does the job better, with possible problems.

i bought a mfw-15 for $530 shipped. the fit and finish was very good. the amp in mine worked well, but i did have to remove it and re-route a few wires inside to get rid of a hum. this is a problem with most of them and there is a thread in their forum showing how to 'seperate' certain wires to get rid of the hum.

Yeah, I did a lot of reading on these issues but bought one anyway, I think they are working hard to resolve them.

I sold mine only because i was just curious to see how it sounded and wanted something else. having gone from a rsw-15 straight to the mfw, i can tell you a few of the differences. the rsw was a little boomy at times, but was mostly articulate. THE thing i didn't like about the rsw was the inability to play lower frequencies. below 30hz or so, it fell off drastically. the mfw actually had a lot of the articulate characteristics of the rsw, but also had the ability to play low. it outperformed the rsw in almost all respects.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, I have the same complaint about my KSW-300, at times it out right thumped big time but then at times it would boom as well and for some songs it had issues keeping up. Now I'm 100% positive the RSW-15 would slaughter my KSW-300 so hearing what you say about how well the MFW performs I'm glad I didn't buy an RSW-15, I'd still like one though, it's a damn nice box.

Having said that, the whole failing amp issue they have had with these, makes buying one a crapshoot. i don't think getting a replacement amp would be an issue, but the fact of having to deal with it makes it a tough call whether or not to buy one? in all fairness, the rsw has clearly a superior amp and driver(s), not to mention looks the part. the mfw just does the job better, with possible problems.

I bought a Moho Rosa Satin so the looks clearly go to the MFW but I think the cool factore goes to the Klipsch. Also agree 100% about the amplifier in the RSW, clearly better than the unit used in the MFW but the price for these subwoofers aren't even close. The original cost for the RSW back when it came out was much higher than it is for the MFW.

Thanks for the great reply!

klipschead, i don't think you can go wrong, especially with the price of a mfw. performance vs. dollar amount is very good. the only other thing that i found about both subs, is that when listening at very high volumes, which i do a lot, neither one could keep up with my 7's. now granted we are talking some serious db's, but the rf7's eclipsed either one of them. that is my next hurdle. finding something that can have some serious output in the middle 120 db range.

klipschead, i don't think you can go wrong, especially with the price of a mfw. performance vs. dollar amount is very good. the only other thing that i found about both subs, is that when listening at very high volumes, which i do a lot, neither one could keep up with my 7's. now granted we are talking some serious db's, but the rf7's eclipsed either one of them. that is my next hurdle. finding something that can have some serious output in the middle 120 db range.

Yeah, that's a nice problem to have! My room is 15 squared with one wall open to the foyer and stairs . My KG 5.2's can't reach that kind of level either so I think the MFW is safe! But the level they can reach is pretty instense! I'm buying a Radio Shack SPL dgital meter this week to help dial everything in.

I'm keeping my eye out for a pair of KLF-30's, I love the Legend Series KLF's!

Well, every time I find a pair of 30's the bidding goes insane and beyond what I want to spend. So, today I visited Simply Stereo and bought a pair of RF-82's and I have to say I'm very impressed!

Watched War of the Worlds this afternoon, heard things I didn't hear from my KG 5.2's, never thought there would be that big a difference!

Simply Stereo [Y]

Did you check out any Heritage speakers while you were there? The last time I was there the K-Horns sounded much better on the Cambridge gear than they did previously with the Adcom (or was it Anthem?)

hey swl, how would you compare the two? i've heard the 20's, but not the 30's.

Never heard the 20's.....read good things though.

I prefer the sound quality of the 7's over the 30's (I'm biased having owned three pairs) but the 30's with those two twelves are animals. [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just wanted to throw in my quick opinion about the MFW-15.

I bought one during their Black Friday deal last year. I had to move some wires around as well to get the hum to go away. Other then that, it has been a great performer. It is paired with RF-7s and does the job nicely. I got mine right around the time they were having lots of amp problems (I don't know if they still are or not) but mine has had zero problems. It seems like they are really good with customer service though if you do have a problem. Hope you are enjoying your sub as much as I enjoy mine.

Simply Stereo Yes

Did you check out any Heritage speakers while you were there? The last time I was there the K-Horns sounded much better on the Cambridge gear than they did previously with the Adcom (or was it Anthem?)

Oh man the Heritage speakers were all there but I didn't audition them, he wanted to mind you but I knew if I heard them I would have bought a pair of God knows what. Heck, seeing the RF-82's almost made me buy a pair! The wife would have killed me. The K-Horns looked awesome and every time I go there they have a pair but now they have the entire Heritage line up for you to see, very impressive.

Hey I just wanted to throw in my quick opinion about the MFW-15.

I bought one during their Black Friday deal last year. I had to move some wires around as well to get the hum to go away. Other then that, it has been a great performer. It is paired with RF-7s and does the job nicely. I got mine right around the time they were having lots of amp problems (I don't know if they still are or not) but mine has had zero problems. It seems like they are really good with customer service though if you do have a problem. Hope you are enjoying your sub as much as I enjoy mine.

Yeah, the amplifier issues continue and I thought I had a big problem with mine but it turned out to be my new Marantz SR5003 not the sub.