I need a woofer

JohnA

I want to replace the door speakers in my pick-up and do it myself. I'm have some trouble finding a suitable 6.5" woofer. I've found a tweeter.

Do you know of a 6.5", 4 ohm, infinite baffle woofer that can get down to at least 60 Hz and is 90 dB/w/m or higher. I need to cross to the tweeter at 1500 Hz. I do not want a foam surround because of foam's decay problem, unless these things will still be made 10 years hence.

John,

This is harder than you think! A car/truck door is a HORRIBLE environment for a good speaker to live in. Its terrible physically with all the jarring around, especially if you go off road a lot. Its wet/damp, the door fuzzies NEVER seal properly. Its subjected to wild tempeature extremes. The average door is not even solid metal, its full of holes. The poor speaker usually has to mount to either flimsy plastic or something simlar to masonite. A car door is not an IB in any sense. it is more like an incredibly resonant torture chamber for a speaker.

60 HZ (-3d) on a 6.5" @ 90 DB 1w/1m is a piece of cake, in a real cabinet (ported). Theres a bunch oh Klipsch 6.5" woofers on ebay with rubber surrounds that could meet your specs easily, but not in a truck door.

Can I suggest that you roll the poor door speakers off at somewhere closer to 100hz and add a sub? Have you ever heard what 60HZ does to a car/truck door? Have you heard trunks rattling from 300 yards away, its much the same. I have put 4-10" woofers in a car door, and I had to do serious metal/fiberglass work to stop the rattling. You are asking for a whole lot from a TERRIBLE speaker enclosure. Are you prepared to do a lot of work and protect the speaker from the elements. If not, look at "marine" speakers. I used to sell BABB audio speakers for boats, they play underwater! They can do what you want with the exception of the 60HZ, I dont think thats do-able in a truck door, without a lot of effort.

What Mike said and to get great stuff out of a vehicle you don't need some huge sub, I ran 4 forward firing Memphis 8's and some 6.5 MB Quart 2 ways in the doors with the tweeters mounted seperatly at ear level and it blew everyone away. I would suggest you give them a listen and get a sub also.

I am wanting to DIY, if I can. I've found a set of JL Audio 6.5s that I like, if I want to go "commercial" and I just don't want to give up and room in the back for a sub, or pay $600 for the JL Audio custom fit sub. I approached a custom builder and we're having trouble fitting a box between the rear seats big enough for a 10" driver.

On top of that, I got my head unit installed and the factory speakers sound pretty darned good, better than I suspected they would, plenty of thump to suit m and possibly efficient. Their distortion levels are high, though, so I could replace them and add a tweeter with a crossover I designed and have even better.

John

I have a set or Morel 6.5's and the separate 1" domes that go with them. All with very well made grill's, heavy gauge steel and very attractive. I had been saving them for myself, but its a GD shame to put these in a car/truck door without giving them a decent shot at life. These are VERY VERY high quality, have 3" voice coils, will take power like mad. They sound VERY nice. They have never been installed, I have all the factory packaging. As good as these are, I do not think you will get 60HZ @ -3db in your doors.

I have no crossover for them, they were meant to use active X overs. These are really TOO good to be in a car. But if you want em, PM me. I think they are only about 93 db 1W/1M, but if you got power they will kill the JL's in SPL. The tweeter is a 1" ferro fluid colled soft dome with a huge magnet and a resonance chamber behind it, looks similar to their old 33. I believe this set was around 700.00.

The drivers look identical to their older home speakers, very well engineered and designed. Their engineers came from Dynaudio.

They look like the supremo's without all the plastic trash on them. it has the same woofer with the gigantic VC's and the tweeter has the same chamber on the back... However my grills look almost industrial, none of that "johnny rocket" cheap looking crap. the cheaper set looks like junk to me.......

These are very classy, very heavy duty, theres no way to damage these grills in anything approaching normal use! they are from the Renaissance line

the tweeters are CR101S, the woofers are up in the attic and harder to get to.......they are a matching set and both in perfect condition. the templates and cut outs are still in the boxes. These have hexatech voice coils, like the Dynaudio. The UPS label is stuck directly on top of the box where all the specs are

madisound.com as well as solen.com have some very nice 6.5 woofers. Most car stereo stuff is not even close to audiophile quality. Vifa in particular makes very nice speakers for cheap. As far as high sensitivity drivers in the 6.5" range... As I said before, theres a bunch of Klipsch Cerametallic 6.5's on ebay and some do have the sensitivity you are looking for at a resonable price. For IB mounting, look for drivers with a high QTS, thats not the only thing but its a good place to start.

I think I looked at Madisound. I forget them, too often.

Unfortunately, the physical environment is what it is and the acoustic environment doesn't justify spending gobs of money. I can be lazy and just buy or have some car speakers I've heard and like installed, and I might.