Sony PS3..Pros & Cons...

oldenough

i have a 40 gb i bought a little over a year ago, i think its a great unit the only problem and its just with the 40 gb that i know of is that it doesnt have the memeory card slots and its only got 2 usb ports, but since the controllers are cordles that doesnt matter. And you cant play playstation 1 or 2 games on it which i dont have anyway. All in all im pretty happy with it graphics sound processor etc.

I do still have a playstation one and quite a number of games..apparently some of the new units are backward compatible with PS1 and PS2, i'll look into it before I buy, but it's not a big deal to me.

I believe that the only ones are 60 gig (emotion engine hardware) ...the MGS4 edition and motorstorm edition( software) for PS2 and PS1 but i think the newer 80/160 gigs play PS 1 game.

I have the 60 gb version and it does make a lot of fan noise. Initially, after turning on the system, it's quiet but when playing games for a while or watching movies, it'll get loud. The speakers are able to drown out the noise, but of course, it's quite noticeable during quiet scenes. My ps3 was one of the earliest ones when they first came out.... so they probably have fixed this with the newer ones.

The ps3 60 gb version, which is no longer manufactured, could play ps2 and ps1 games.. but the newer ones, as berserk has mentioned, can only play ps1 games and only a bare few ps2 games because sony decided to get rid of the backwards compatible emotion engine to cram more hard drive memory in.

All in all, ps3 has a great value due to it's many existing functions (if you're going to use it's other functions that is). =]

I have the 40g PS3 and have never noticed the fan noise. I can hear it when I am powering it on/off but it is inaudible even a few feet away. I have never noticed it during movies, etc.

The PS3 is an extremely flexible piece of gear. BD player, cd player, music server, video server, video game console, internet browser all rolled into one extremely nice looking package with very fast start-up times and exceptional "updatability" via the net (hard-wired and wireless internet connections).

The extra $100 or so you pay for the PS3 over a dedicated BD player is an exceptional value, IMHO.