Found in my garage...

justin_tx_16

I found a 150 watt Marantz PM500 stereo amplifier. I know Marantz makes great amps, but is this one of them? How much do you think it would cost now? It is in mint condition! Do I have something here?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

anyone want to shed some light on this? it is gold on the front if that helps anything...

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Christ!! I wish I had a garage like yours!

PM500.jpg

Description 2.2KVA transformer, 4 21,000 uf filter caps

Rarity X-Rare

Retail Price 1200.00, October 1st 1974 Marantz Dealer List

First Year 1973

Last Year 1975

Matching Preamplifiers 3300

Blue Face Yes

Channels Two

Physical

Panel Width 19 (rack)

Panel Height 7 (rack)

Width 17 5/8

Height 7

Depth 16

Weight 78 lbs, 83 shipped

Amplifier

RMS Power Per Channel 250 @ 8 ohms, 500 @ 4 ohms

Damping Factor @ Load Impedance >400

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.1%

Power Bandwidth 20Hz to 20 KHz

Frequency Response 2 Hz to 100KHz at +/- 1.5 dB

Hum and Noise >106 dB below 250 watts

Signal to Noise Ratio 110 dB

Intermodulation Distortion (IM) 0.1%

Input Sensitivity for Full Output 2.25 volts

Gain Control(s) Yes

Output Meter(s) 2, precision moving coil, jeweled bearings

Cooling Fan(s) Yes

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

that is the one! the one exactly! where did you get that pic and info?!!! thanks a ton Smile.gif so, what do you think of this amp? it is in mint condition, just like that one. how does it compare to some other amps? this is great. thanks sooo much!

------------------

-justin

ok, thanks to John Warren i have much more,and more importantly, correct information and a pic of this amp.

PM500.jpg

so, what do you think this is worth, any experience with it? i don't have any speakers at home that i think can handle this much power... i have some

Yamaha NS-6 speakers

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

and some Sony SS-U542AV 200 watt 8ohm speakers

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

that i could try with this amp... but would these speakers do justice to this amp?

thanks so much! sorry about the picture quality... can't find my nice dig. camera

------------------

-justin

Klipguy,

That $26 pricetag you mentioned is for the amp's MANUAL, not the amp itself. Smile.gif

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

Its a very fine amp Justin,can I browse in your garage

maybe I can find more amps. Wink.gif

Its one of the best power amps Marantz built,solid PSU and ample storage,solid construction.And you found it,so its a great deal.

This amp deserves much more than the puny Yamaha or Sony boombox speakers in the pics you posted.As you can see in the posted specs the amp output doubles into 4 Ohms,great to drive some SVS Ultras or SVS SS!

Could be used with Klipsch if you buy the RF-7's one day(you would probably use under a watt most of the time anyway).

Great amp you found,today an amp like this with similar specs and built would cost around two grand.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-18-2002 at 08:31 AM

wow! that is great news ears. those speakers from sony are not near boombox speakers Smile.gif but i know what you mean. i tried them with some cornwalls today and they sounded great, and the knob barely turned Smile.gif haha. it was great!

------------------

-justin

• 2 weeks later...

this is a power amp, right?

then what do the knobs do?

and justin, I would be willing to trade my Sony speakers for your Maranz unit, that way you could complement your set of high-quality speakers and I could power my future RF-7s or RF-3s properly.

deal?

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb,

First, the amp is a true "dual mono" build, so there are actually two controls, mirrored left and right, not four controls.

On each side, one knob controls the meter function (peak hold, avg, RMS) and the other knob adjusts the amplifier's overall gain.

I just looked in MY garage. I found an old tricycle and some tulip bulbs I lost about five years ago.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garrison:

Seb,

First, the amp is a true "dual mono" build, so there are actually two controls, mirrored left and right, not four controls.

On each side, one knob controls the meter function (peak hold, avg, RMS) and the other knob adjusts the amplifier's overall gain.

I just looked in MY garage. I found an old tricycle and some tulip bulbs I lost about five years ago.

right on Ray Smile.gif i listened to my Cake collection on the Marantz today Smile.gif Sounds very very nice Smile.gif... give a warm feeling to the music i guess. just need some horn loaded speaker to play the horns in the music like they should sound Smile.gif

i don't think i am going to sell this amp until i am in need of cash in college Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Ray,

"I just looked in MY garage. I found an old tricycle and some tulip bulbs I lost about five years ago."

Lucky you,I looked in the garage and found a rusted paint can! DOH No dead rats to report,all are well fed!

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Ray,

"I just looked in MY garage. I found an old tricycle and some tulip bulbs I lost about five years ago."

Lucky you,I looked in the garage and found a rusted paint can! DOH No dead rats to report,all are well fed!

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Don't forget, or just FYI, we moved to a new house in October so half our house and parts of my dad's studio are in there, not like i have lived in the house for years and just say it LoL Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

well you know how bad i have been wanting to listen to some heresys? well, stupid me! was at orchestra today and we listened to our concert cd on Heresy's! they were up about 8feet in the air, all i could see what KLIPSCH Heresy... on an orange label. from my chair, before i knew they were heresys, i was like... you know, that beige cloth cover looks just like the klipsch heresy, to bad my school does not have the taste for that... well, we were dismissed about 30 minutes ago and i went straight to the speaker and saw it WAS a heresy! well, there were two of them and they EASILY filled our room with sound... probably 5000 square feet and has ~20 foot ceilings, just two heresys.

wow, since october, at least twice a week, i have been listening to these and did not even know they were Klipsch, i thought they were Advents haha

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

You lucky SOB...

The best thing I have "gotten" is a POS Mitsubishi amp, it put out about .01 watts at full speam at 99% distortion. I shot it about 15 times with a .300WSM (Winchester Short Magnum), it was FUNNNN!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

hehe

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support