Klipschorn demo, I'm ready Mike

Q-Man

Mike, I'm finally ready to give you that Klipschorn demo. The false corners are set up and the McIntoch amp and Outlaw ICBM are hooked up. I didn't realize that I wasn't enjoying listening to music as much as I used to , before getting into Home Theater. This McIntosh reminds me of my old separate componet days. The last few nights I've been playing a variety of CD's that I bought to replace LP's that I used to injoy. With the Yamaha RX-V2092 and 3000 home theater set I wasn't enjoying the the sound of some of these CD's anymore. I just thought that I didn't like them anymore.The McIntosh brings it all back to me. I'm hearing the music as I remember it. I've been listening for 3 nights now, with no listening fatigue.

Bring some of your favorite CD's and also DVD's if you like. Something that your used to listening to. I have movies and CD's,but you may not be familiar with , or like them. I'm mainly into Blues. Also Rock from the late 60's and early 70's.

I may be able to do this Sat. night , 2/23/02.

I'll add a little more to this later, I'm beat tonight. Feel free to email me.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike,

I do want to say one more thing right now.

I don't know if I'll be doing an AB comparison between the Imperials, Universitys, LaScalas, and Klipschorns this visit. It's not easy for me to get to the hook-ups anymore, the way I have things set up now. But, I do want you to hear the difference in the bottom end of these bass horns without the mid.'s and tweeters hooked up. It might have to be another visit for us to do this.

I did start to set up another pair of klipschorns in another room. I have to dig out an old Phase Linear pre-amp and power amp that I used to use. I want to make this all accessible for ABing speakers and such.

Well, later Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-14-2002 at 12:40 AM

Q-Man, you are the greatest... not only do you have a bevy of PWK's pride and joys... you have the spirit to spread the Klipsch sound to virgin (K-horn) ears.

I hope BobG takes note of this splendid example of "Klipsch Kamaraderie"... we just can't have too much of that kind of BBS action.

BTW, I picked up the C7 I was looking for. Thanks for being a potential resource... but I was saving one and I can't blame you for doing the same.

cwm40.gif So when are you going to start charging admission for Merritt Island's Q-Zone... the premier hospitality and cinematic center with A/B comparisons... Q-man, does that go for the libations too? cwm32.gif HornEd

Q,

Glad to hear you got it all together. I'm very anxious to hear your horns (all of them) and think I can make it on Saturday, the 23rd. I was also wondering if it would be OK to bring my girlfriend? Shoot me an Email at mlindsey@dewberry.com and we can work out the details. I am also hoping that you will get the chance to check out my system next time you are visiting your sister in Oviedo...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Girlfriend!, only if you bring one for me. Make her a min. of 5'10" with long legs. I take it you want the best seats in the house too.

My wife really thinks that I went off the deep end. See, I'm a loaner and have nothing to do with anyone. I do by best to avoid people. When I told her that I asked you over, see could't beleave it. Hey, don't let this scare you away now.

I'll email you with an address and phone number. I may meet you somewhere on the main road when you come. There are too many turns to get back to me.

Horn Ed & boomer,

Didn't I tell you that Bob G is going to pay me a commision if Mike ends up ordering a pair?

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Hey you don't have to do all that although it's mighty nice of you. Biggrin.gif We'll even bring over a bottle (or 2) of Merlot or Chardonnay, you're choice...

Mike

Edit: Q, if you're uncomfortable with Debbie coming, that's cool. She doesn't have to come. I just thought it would be nice, being Saturday night and all...

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-14-2002 at 04:09 PM

Mike, I'm sorry.

I never should have tried to use my sick sense of humor

in type. I can be very sarcastic, but it's ment in jest. I guess I wouldn't expect you to understand it without seeing my facial expressions or knowing me better. I won't try that again.

Please, bring Debbie. It will be fun.

Now , if you knew be better I would really say to you.

Please, bring Debbie. Then I won't have to talk to you.

I'm always using those sick one liners with people that know be better, and they understand that I mean just the opposite.

Again, I'm sorry.

I'll email you tonight with directions and some other information. You can come as early as 6:00 P.M.if you like. That way you won't have to try to find your way in the dark.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-14-2002 at 06:40 PM

How about this guy?

He showed up a week early, drinks my best bottle of wine,and BLOWS UP my Sunfire Signature subwoofer.Now he won't even comment on his impression of a Klipschorn system for you guys that never heard one.

I just crawed out of the attic retrieving the Sunfire shippig box, so I can send it in to be fixed.

Is it time for a pair of SVS- Ultras?

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-17-2002 at 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear your sub sank, Q-man. With your superior rig, SVS has the quiet power and accuracy that makes the blues sing like no other I've tried. You know, all the power that's needed without the distortion noted in so many more expensive competitors.

I believe it would be wise to contact Tom Vodhanel (the "V" in SVS) and ask him his advice for your particular set up. You will get an honest reply... even if that means recommending non-SVS equipment for your particular situation. He may even help you if you want to construct a big unit yourself since you are such a handy sort.

Tom and I are talking about building a 30" tube with four 12" drivers... that would probably be right at home in your room. Tom works long and hard... and nothing seems to relax him quite like contemplating a new monster sub design.

Before it is over, you may have to thank Mike for being the catalyst to tweak your sub abilities... Oh BTW, what was the label of that prize Cabernet?

Oh, and thanks Mike for the fresh insights into the Q-man's acoustic mastery. cwm15.gif

Horn Ed,

I may have to email Tom with a few questions that I have. I've been reading all the post on the SVS subs. I've been to his website a few times. I guess, I can't go wrong with a 30 day trial period. I'll wait to see what's wrong with the Sunfire and what it will cost to fix it.

Mike and I were pushing the limit a few times. I noticed the McIntosh needles maxing out a few times. I should have turned down the bass and or the sub down at that volume level. My two sons were in the room for a while. They tried to warn me to turn the sub down when the concrete slab felt like it was going to crack.

Mike is right about clean un-distorted sound. Something That I'm not used to yet. Before I could always hear some distortion develope somewhere to warn me to turn down the volume or adjust something. But, now the room sounds better then it ever did. I may have finally even reached the point of no improvement, or at least where I don't feel the need to do so. I think it's a combination of the changes that I just made. 1) A 30 amp dedicated circuit. 2) Finding all the vibration and reverberation points in the room and eliminating them. 3) The new false corners are constructed with 2x6's 12" on center and faced with double 3/4" plywood.They are 3 to 4' deep in some places and screwed to the rooms block walls. 4)The McIntosh amp.. 5) Up graded interconnects. 6) Thick throw rugs added on top of the wall to wall carpeting.

It's kind of scary now. You can, and want to listen louder and louder. The system seems to have no limit.

The wine was Clos Du Bois, Cabernet Sauvignon 1988. Since Mike finished the red wine that he brought, I told him to pick a bottle from the wine rack. He saw the year and was being polite , trying to refuse it. I told him not to worry, that it was probably in my wine rack for that long. No one here drinks red wine. I guess it will now be for my Klipsch guest. Better hurry, there are only a few bottles left.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-17-2002 at 09:12 PM