First time seeing The Dark Knight

Youthman

• Moderators

Today, I picked up The Dark Knight on bluray. I was going to wait until
the cabinets were installed but our kids all spent the night at
grandmas and friend's houses. My wife is working on her Masters and had
a major research paper she had to work on so I decided to check it out.
I invited two friends over to watch it with me. I had never seen the
movie, one of the friends had seen it 3 times, the other once.

I had read about the switching of aspect ratios throughout the movie. I
found it pretty aggravating throughout the movie when watching it in
2.35:1. When the movie shifts to the Imax scenes, the image appears
above and below the screen with grey bars on the sides. I understand
what the producer was trying to accomplish but I really wish he would
have picked one aspect ratio and stuck with it.

The movie was as everyone has said. WOW! Definitely reference material.
Pretty messed up plot (haha) but definitely some high impact scenes,
great LFE and provided some fantastic demo scenes. Batman's voice was
WAY overdone and kinda cheezy. Wish they had not altered his voice to
make it deeper. Why didn't he just talk to the bad guys the way he did
to Alfred?

I have 7 more screenshots here.

post-27215-13819447586652_thumb.jpg

I have it on Blu Ray as well, but I have not ben able to watch it at home from start to end. I never noticed the changes in aspect ratio. Iiwll have to look into that. I guess I was too "into it" watching th emovie to notice.

I cant wait to have "Band of Brothers" party. I got the Blu Ray package for xmas and I have not watched it yet (on Blu Ray).

The AR change is 'unnoticable' to those us with a 16:9 HDTV or screen setup. (Most people didn't even notice it changing on my HDTV untill I pointed it out.) So yeah, for you(you guys) with a 2.35:1 I can see how this is annoying. I guess you would have to set your lense to a 16:9 format, and let it play the movie that way to avoid the cut off of the film...maybe they will release a staright 2.35:1 release instead of 16:9....eventually.

It was great movie with many plot twists.

The voice thing was WAY aggrivating though. What was with that? Was not that way on other ones? Not sure, but it was bothersome.

And, according to that you tube hit of actor cussing out lighting guy, we know he knows how to talk da trash....

Paul

• Moderators

I guess you would have to set your lense to a 16:9 format, and let it play the movie that way to avoid the cut off of the film...

Totally defeats the purpose of having a scope screen. For me, I would rather deal with the overspill since the majority of the movie is in scope format. I would be sacrificing screen space for the minority.

maybe they will release a staright 2.35:1 release instead of 16:9....eventually

I'm not sure that is even possible since some scenes were shot with Imax film and those sequences are shown as 16:9 or 1.78:1 apect ratio. The producer made it that way because that's the way he envisioned it. Highly doubt he would redo the scenes to make them 1:40:1 ratio like the rest of the movie.

• Moderators

I have the panny setup for constant image height. 2.35:1 fills the entire screen. Anything less than that will have grey bars on the sides but will not have bars on top and bottom. This is my preferred method. Grey bars on the sides are far less distracting than bars on top and bottom. I do not stretch the image at all because I do not like seeing images that are distorted and not in proportion. The panny allows for 3 zoom presets. I have one set for 16:9, one set for 2.35:1 and one set for somewhere in between that.

• Moderators

u ever see it on a black wall?

That's hillarious. You would have to go there huh. I actually did turn my screen around and shot an image on it but like you said, it wasn't too exciting. It's much different material than a flat black drywall but may produce the same result.

• Moderators

I told u that image was impossible... My Guess? It was a nice cut n paste job.

Ok, I just had an idea. I painted my ceiling flat black. I put in Ratatouie and aimed the AE3000 at the ceiling. Guess what? It was quite bright. My celing is textured so it looked strange because you could see all of the lines from the texture but it reflected a lot more light than the back of my screen. I hate to say it but I still believe him. If there was a way I could hold my projector up and take a pic, I would. I don't think this Myth is "Busted" but plausible. LOL.