Info on SME 3009 arm

germerikan

The 3009 S2 improved is a no no with the 103-R. It has too low mass. On the other hand the 3009 II is a perfect match for the 103-R. The major difference between the two arms is the counterweight. The S2 has a screw on counterweight. It is short with a large diameter. The 3009 II has a slide on counterweight that is small diameter and long. Also if the 379 you quoted is for an S2 improved, I would run that is pricey, but that is not a bad price for the 3009 II. They bring more money. Look here for the differences in the 3009 arms:

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

Jeremy

SME's are excellent arms and perform well with a wide variety of cartridges. I have several different carts I use with mine. The 3009 II Improved is generally accepted one of the best of the classic arms.

It's amazing just how good a rather common cart like a Shure M91ED can sound on that arm.

I don't know about it with the Denon. That's a pretty big cart.

Dave

The 3009 S2 improved is a no no with the 103-R. It has too low mass. On the other hand the 3009 II is a perfect match for the 103-R. The major difference between the two arms is the counterweight. The S2 has a screw on counterweight. It is short with a large diameter. The 3009 II has a slide on counterweight that is small diameter and long. Also if the 379 you quoted is for an S2 improved, I would run that is pricey, but that is not a bad price for the 3009 II. They bring more money. Look here for the differences in the 3009 arms:

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

Jeremy

Pay attention to the above...good info.

Dave

I was thinking of using the Denon 103-R ( just because I could get it cheep)

Not a great match. Read this.

Crikey, Mark. That's enough to send any LP bi/curious type running for the CD player! Stick out tongue

Dave

LOL I just thought Oh, s*** I have to learn something again. Well I will do a lot of reading before I do my project.

Avoid the fixed headshell S2 version because it only mates with high compliance cartridges and that takes you out of the LOMC market all together. Ask me how I know......I own both the early 3009 II and the later 3009 S2 improved. IMO calling the later one "improved" is a bit ironic.

Jeremy

Avoid the fixed headshell S2 version because it only mates with high compliance cartridges and that takes you out of the LOMC market all together. Ask me how I know......I own both the early 3009 II and the later 3009 S2 improved. IMO calling the later one "improved" is a bit ironic.

Jeremy

OK thanks for the advice when I have read everything and learned a bit more (did not know it was so complecated) I´ll decide what to do. Thanks much!!!

I use a Zu 103R with a 3009 S2 and it's a wonderful match. Like the folks said above, you definitely need/want the 2 big counterweights. It will work with just the one but barely. I like having both. I NEEDED both when I used the SPU cart. I paid over $400 for my 3009 a couple years ago but that's still a steal IMO.

Wow I appriciate the very fast responses the following is the arm I could get.

That is the S2 improved version you have pictured. There is a fixed and a removable headshell in this type. If you plan to use a nice moving magnet cartridge then the removable headshell version of this type may work. The fixed headshell version is just so darned light. I believe it has an effective mass of 6-6.5 grams. BLECK! If you are going to spend the money on an SME 3009, I would hold out for the early "II" version.

Jeremy

If you are going to use the Denon, why not start out with an arm that is meant for that style cart?

As I stated earlier I am a TT null. As in I have no idea. I was only going to use the Denon because it was the cheapest "name brand" that I found. (OK I did not look that hard.) After I am finished with the given homework I will have to see what I will do. [:|]

Here is my experience in a nutshell without any technicalities:

A garden-variety cartridge (Stanton 681EEE, Shure M91ED, Audio Technica, etc.) will sound a lot better with a first class arm and table than a high end cartridge will with a garden variety arm and table.

Action item from above: Get the best arm/table you can afford and one of the above carts to start. Once you are comfortable with the arm and table setup then ask specifically on the forum what folks think sounds best with that combination. Then, when you get the new cart, you'll also have a backup for when the cleaning lady or some poor schnook visitor craters your stylus (it's inevitable).

See, that wasn't so hard...

Dave

I'd add one more thing to make it even simpler for some sitting on the edge:

A 100.00 score on a classic high end consumer table in good shape (Dual, Sony, Pioneer, etc.) with one of the carts I mentioned will blow your mind if you have no experience with vinyl, and it's a great way to get started on the cheap. I do not know of a more cost effective way to get incredibly great music on your system. Yes, you can get a decent CD player for that but the CD's aren't cheap. Vinyl has gone up from the "gold rush" days of free or 50 cents being the norm even for great discs, but they are still dirt cheap at about 5 for the price of a single new CD and will sound a lot better (at least to many of us) than a 100.00 CD player...and you can feast on on the recorded treasures of a whole century.

Dave

Vintage Ortofon arms are a good match.

Thanks I´ll keep my eyes open.

Let me know what you find! Perhaps being in Europe you might run into good deals (Ortofon's Danish, y'know). Mine's an RS-212.