Laying a Forte 2 on its side for a center channel?

Devinlm

I have Forte 2's for the fronts. I need a horizontal speaker to fit my room for the center channel. Will I mess up the sound if I lay a Forte 2 on its side for a center channel? (a third Forte 2).

E-bay doesn't have any Academy centers for sale right now.

Thanks for your replies,

Devin

I've been wondering this for a while as well.

I've always noticed my Academy's horn is placed the same way as the Forte II's would be if it was on it's side so I'd think it would work.

But all the excitement about the vertical Cornwalls has always had me wondering why the horn on the Academy is the way it is if vertical makes a better horn for center use.

The tractrix mid horn on the Forte II allows for a very wide dispersion of sound. The older Cornwalls used an exponential horn that had a much narrower horn and that's probably why they made a vertical Cornwall that could be laid on its side.

I used a Quartet on its side (same midrange as a Forte II) for several months and it worked great.

• Moderators

Yes you can lay it on it's side, I have been doing this for a few years and it works great. you will love the sound of an identical center.

I found no difference in the sound and we sit about 14' back, my center is about 6' from the ground pointing down to the sofa, sounds great, you will not be sorry.

I'm Jeff, and you're welcome!

When you reply to a post on the top there are the tabs Compose, Options, etc..

Anyway click on options and click on the update add button. After you add your pic you have to move the bar at the bottom of the screen over to see the the save button. That hidden save button confused me for a while!

Hey Mark ,My love seat & couch are in the way ,as of now.This summer a bro is going to help me change my monster furnace (circa 1950 arco-liner) to a Wel-Mclain which is sitting next to the old one.This will free up room for spreading out my speakers.Thanks for the info tho,as you guys on this forum are the BOMB.