Neep help hooking up a turntable.

Once again I turn to the wise ninjas of the Klipsch Forums.

I have a Yamaha HTR 5730 A/V reviever and I would like to hook up an old turntable that has been laying around. It is a technics SL DD 22, it has the two RCA jacks coming out of it and a single wire. I am not sure if my reciever will accept this or where to plug it into, and what is up with the single wire, an antenna, just kidding, I know that isnt what it is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as always.

Once again I turn to the wise ninjas of the Klipsch Forums.

I have a Yamaha HTR 5730 A/V reviever and I would like to hook up an old turntable that has been laying around. It is a technics SL DD 22, it has the two RCA jacks coming out of it and a single wire. I am not sure if my reciever will accept this or where to plug it into, and what is up with the single wire, an antenna, just kidding, I know that isnt what it is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as always.

Your 5730 doesn't have a phono preamp so you'll have to use a separate phono preamp if you want to use the turntable. They don't cost too much. Single wire is used to elimate hum if you get some.

Frank

Thanks for the advice, if figured I was gonna need something like that.

Looking on e bay, they start at $7, and go to 1k. I know the turntable isnt that great, but do you have a suggestion as to what would be a good fit? I just want to listen to the albums I have had sitting around all these years.

A minor point (maybe) re what phonostage to look for, but what kind and maybe what model of cartridge is in the table?

It is a Stanton, I cant see any numbers or anything on it. On the top of it is has the Fancy"S" if that helps.

I e mailed Stanton to see if they could give me any info on what I have.

I saw a pre amp on the RS website for $30, I might just go get that and try it.

What would be the limitations if it is a moving coil vs ?????

What would be the limitations if it is a moving coil vs ?????

I doubt that Stanton ever made a moving coil though never say never. The few Stanton's I checked on Needle Doctor were high output even for MM's, 6.0 to as high as 10.0 mv, so I don't think MC is a threat here. I'm not familiar with the RS, but it may be fine for finding out what if anything else you want to do.

MC is higher cost and trouble, as you'd have to have a much higher phonostage gain and would benefit more from a higher grade (=$$) tonearm. Plus, you have to be forever careful not to wreck the non-user-replaceable stylus/cantilever. Also = $$.

Good luck & happy listening.

The little red Rolls VP29 works fine for me and is currently available for less than $50 before shipping from Parts Express http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-035 or B&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155434-REG/Rolls_VP29_VP29_Phono_Preamp.html

I don't know if they still are, but mine was made in the USA as in the first picture.

Rolls VP29

Note: This picture bigger than actual size.

Here's another image that may give a better idea of it's size

Rolls VP29 View 2

You can spend a lot less as you've found but also quite a bit more.

You might also consider the Art USB Phono Plus v2 that goes for around $76 or less (or more) before shipping. It can also be used to convert analog to USB output to feed into one's computer.

ART USB Phono Plus v2

ART USB Phono Plus v2 Rear

Fromo what I've read about the USB Phono Plus is you want the version 2 (as pictured) as it has a headphone output so could use it as a headphone amplifier with turntable connected. It also has USB output to capture analog audio directly into computer bypassing the computer sound card. I think the phono preamp can be swtiched out so could also digitize cassettes and the like or any line level input. I think I also read that the digital inputs are mostly a pass thru, maybe functioning as a simple preamp? but are not output through the USB. I'm considering getting one of these for the long overdue project of digitizing my vinyl for portable listening.

Available for around $76 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Phono-Plus-USB-Preamp/dp/B000BBGCCI (note they picture the earlier version without the headphone level though are selling v2) or B&H for $59.95 but must be added to cart to see price (both before shipping) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381598-REG/ART_USB_PHONOPLUS_USBPhonoPlus_v2_Audio_Interface.html

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Now I am really confused. But I am pretty sure I dont want my computer hooked up to my sound system, I guess I am just old school that way.

I will prolly go to Radio Shack over the weekend and see what they have available.

there is also a vintage sound place here in denver that might have something.

I will let you know what I deide.

And again , thanks for the input and advice . since discovering this site it has helped me to make informed decisions/ purchases on the gear I have now.

So , thanks guys.

You don't need to connect your computer to your sound system. Having a phono preamp with USB out just means that you have the option in case you ever want to copy some LPs to your hard drive to make CDs or whatever.

Happy listening, whatever you decide.