Rear surrounds?

eddieras

i'm a newbie in this home audio ( i don't even want to tell you what i own now!)

i'm buying the SF2, SC1, KSW10 and SS1-- but now i'm not sure about the SS1-- very large, and we don't do a lot of movies and don't have a digitat satelitte receiver (don't even have a dvd player). now, in addition to the speakers i've purchased the Denon 2802. my original intent was to only replace my old stereo system, but i'm trying to get into the home theater a bit.

my question is--- is there a smaller set of rear speakers i can use that would do the job???

thanks so much for helping!!

ed

Once you turn the corner and get the AVR receiver and also looking at the speakers you mentioned above the HT FLU BUG has hit and there is no turning back. You will end up getting the DVD for sure and if you don't you shouldn't have gotton the AVR receiver. I don't believe the SS 1 are THAT LARGE and probably smaller than a lot of rear speakers others probably are using.

w/dd and dts, and multi-channel sacd,the rear speakers are much more important to timbre-match (sound the same)as the fronts,and the larger size should sound better, and they really aren't that big (just look at them from farther away Smile.gif )avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

For an entry level system, get a 100 foot spool of 12 gauge from Radio Shack or mail order from Parts Express or MCM Electronics for your speakers. It never hurts to have some left over or leave some slack in case you want to alter your location of speakers.

I have used AR and Kimber Toslink digital cables and really do not notice alot of difference. Some people may notice the difference.

I prefer the RCA digital connection but that is probably not based in too many facts. The Toslink connection just seems a little flimsy.

Make sure to buy a DVD player that has both digital outputs so you can test for yourself.

I recommended the new Sony Progressive Scan DVD player 700 model to a friend of mine and he has been very pleased. Seems like a great bargin for $300.

Enjoy the journey.

The lower the number of the gauge, the thicker the wire, the thicker the wire, the less resistance for cool electrons swimming toward your speakers. A popular cost-benefit approach is to settle in at about 12 gauge for most serious ear candy aficionados. Gold plated tips seems to allay most of the corrosion problems.

Beyond that, wiring takes on its on arcane and mystic lore that stirs Forum members to ranting or abject denial.

Many years ago while rebuilding a 60-seat theater in my showroom (originally built by Eastman Kodak), I was disappointed with the sound system. We upgraded the speakers... and that was an improvement... and then we replaced all the 16 to 18 gauge wire with 12 gauge and gold contacts... and upgraded the interconnects on the components. The difference was DRAMATIC to say the least... and it has been part of my system building basics ever since. cwm12.gif HornEd

You can also find 12-gauge speaker wire by Carol at many Home Depots for about .40/foot. Not sure how that compares with Partsexpress or Radio Shack. You can use a good video cable for the digital audio (electrical) or fiber. Radio Shack gold are reasonable, as are Acoustic Research (available at Best Buy).

Doug

------------------

My System