Elemental Designs Subwoofer advice needed

DoubleJ

Hi:

ED subwoofers have received some good reviews, both here and other sites. http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41

When I started to research their subs, they were in the middle of re-vamping their "A3" line of subs and thus the specs, pricing, etc were not available on their website.

The "A2" series looked like a great price point for what I need BUT now I see that they have updated their site with the new "A3" information.

After comparing the two, I'm totally confused on which one to get. The A3 is more money (whopping $25 more) but has a smaller driver, smaller foot print, and a larger amp than the A2.

I need someone in the "Know" to look at the specs of both and give me some feedback. (I'm set on either the A2-300 or the A3-250 and though other subwoofer suggestions are helpful, please refrain from suggesting other subwoofers that can be had for a few dollars more).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

JJ

P.S. The sub will be for my bedroom HT which is about 10X12. So, I don't need a Epik conquest or a RSW-15 ;)

i have the a2-300. all i can say is it rocks! i have a 16x16 living room that is entirly open all the way to the front door, it still rattles the dishes in the kitchen. i have it turned way down. i too wanted the (older) a3 but last second i changed my mind for one very improtant reason. the a3 had a LFE input which is what i wanted. eD told me if i plug my cable into that input, i loose all control of the crossover. i would have to plug into the RED (for got name) port and then be able to use the crossover. i am very happy with the a2 and i can use the crossover on it. i'm running a 50' monoprice sub cable to it, with a hard Y adapter, again a monoprice product so i can use both the WHITE and RED inputs.

i can't tell you which one is better, but i like mine. if the crossover is an issue with you, then i would go for the a2.

happy trails!

Thanks for the replies!!

InVeNtOR: Are you saying that you are using the Crossover on the SUB rather than letting your Receiver handle the crossover duties?

In my case, it doesn't matter where the crossover is managed, but I have let my AV receiver handle the duties in the past.

What has me confused is how the A3 can have a smaller driver, a larger amp, and a higher price tag than the A2-300.

I'm missing something here and that's why the original post. I will more than likely call them but I'd rather give you guys a shot at the question before I have a Salesperson try to explain it to me. [;)]

Thanks

JJ

yeah i am choosing to have my sub do the crossover settings. the reason why is i have found crossing my mains and 60hz and my sub at 70hz sounds really good to me. my receiver won't allow anything below 80hz (Thanks THX!). thats why i chose the a2 ove the a3. more money for a crossover without being able to use it. i aso just recently changed my receiver setting to 120hz (full open, or what ever term you want to use) and made sure the sub was around 70hz. it was a better result. i think the receiver was getting in the way.

i am sure the a3 is better, i think they redid the structure of it so you get more with less. i would call, they are straight shoothers. they were the ones who convinced me of buying the a2, to save money. i was dead set on buying the a3, i was calling that day to place the order. i dought he had any other motives other than getting me the right product for my purposes.

I have had the A2 300 now for around 2 weeks. I love it. It seems like it is getting better to my ears as the days go by. This is a no brainer for $350 shipped to your door. Even if you feel like you need more, which I doubt, you can always get another A2 300. This thing digs very deep. 18hz. I played a 20hz test tone yesterday with it, and it plays it well.