Ham Radio Enthusiasts Help!

John Warren

I collegue is retiring and I am responsible for getting a gift for him. He is big-time into ham radio, he makes his own antennae, does the morse code thing, etc.

I'm taking up a collection from work. I hope to have close to $400.

That said, what would be a useful gift for a Ham radio type? and where is a good place to get it?

As always, thanks in advance!

Some ham's like bugs, others may not. Since it is hard to second guess what your friend might be into regarding his specific interests or current needs in radio gear, you might want to consider a HRO gift certificate. They are a very large supplier for all aspects of the hobby.

http://www.hamradio.com/

http://www.hamradio.com/web/help.html

c&s

k6taj

Let me make one other suggestion. The newest and most revolutionary thing in ham radio is software defined radio.

One model is the Flex 1500 which is $570 and will not be available until September. http://www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=F1.5k_features

I'm thinking that even if you don't get to that monetary level in collections, you could make the gesture and see if he wants to close the gap for the 1500 or even go for the higher model like the 3000. Heck maybe the 1500 it will drive an amplifer he has if he doesn't like 5 watts. SRD is supposed to be great for the dyed in the wool CW operator.

The bug is beauty but is retrospective. My thought is that in retirement he might like an indication from the work crew that he is moving into a new bright future.

Best,

Wm McD

The variey of interests in radio is so great you will need more information. He is surely a member of a radio club - contact them and see if they can help pin down his interests from what they know.

Morse code may be keyed manually in different ways, all very much based on personal preference, may also be keyed automatically as straight keyed Morse or as frequency shifted, many other methods. What I'm suggesting is that only he can say what kind of key or system he likes best.

Ask his buddies at the radio club:

How does he log his QSO's (operating contacts) - written or computiezed?

Does he like to operate exclusively from his home station or does he take equipment on location?

Does he like to do contesting? Which ones?

Is he active in Nets (pubic service / traffic nets - message handling)?

Is he active in ARES (Am. Radio Emerg. Service) or RACES (Am. Radio Civil Emerg. Service)?

Is he active in MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service)?

Maybe these questions will remind his buddies of something they know he would like that specifically points to a nice gift idea.

Hope this helps,

Pauln AD5FT