music server and a good DAC for my computer

jazzbeq

Kudret, take a look at the Asus EEE PC. I just got one for my wife's business as a kiosk machine and it's really quiet. It was 500.00 at Frys and is a 15" touchscreen all in one. I put my ear right on it and couldn't hear a thing. You'd swear it was DOM-CF embedded or somthing. Very classy looking the custom touchscreen apps are really cool.

Another possibility is the Via VM7700 VESA mount. You can put one together for less than 600.00, but you have to supply a touchscreen with VESA mount (pretty normal) if you want to mount it to the back of the monitor. I put one together as a test machine for an LMS kiosk at work and it's dead silent and no moving parts, period.

The Wavelengths are very nice, but my opinion is that anything over 400.00 or so for a DAC is very questionable. Of course, there are better ears than mine out there, but I've never heard a significant difference past that point, and the price keeps going down as the issues are better understood by the engineers. The Card Deluxe came out in 2001 and remains essentially unchanged as it is sonically inherently umimprovable (IMHO). However, it's probably overpriced now as chip technology as certainly change a lot since then.

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eeePC

VM7700

The eee is hard to find, very new but already discounted. It's ready to plug in your USB sound, install your favority media management tool, and play. The VM7700 requires a bit more assembly required, but makes a VERY cool and robust media server. Not even a crack for dirt to get in and completely out of site behind the monitor.

If these don't have WAF, nothing will. My wife's customers always comment on the eee on the front desk.

Dave

My Apple Mac Mini with itunes is very quiet. I keep it in a corner away from the listing position. It does not even compete with the other mechanical noise in the house such as heat and air conditioning. I will not have forced air in my next home. I looked at a lot of cheaper dacs other than the wavelength brick but I got it at a reasonable price used on audiogon. If I had bought new I would have tried the something in the musical fidelity line. Do you have any good stores in Montreal that would let you try some dacs at home? I wandered in to the mcintosh dealer in downtown Montreal on my last visit and they seemed accommodating. I do not remember any dacs though. Lots of headphone stuff and some nice JBL and mcintosh speakers.

It does not even compete with the other mechanical noise in the house such as heat and air conditioning.

I have an older G4 MacMini in our office. I can never tell if it is even on. It's very quiet.

I have started to have a look at freeNAS, to build a storage server. Handle a lot of protocols for connectivity, and the whole OS is around 32M. Based on freeBSD.

The options are endless.