Standalone Subwoofer Amps

EdmundGTP

Just some general questions for the sub gurus here. I'm wondering why standalone sub amps are consistently more expensive than plate amps with smiliar power out put? Obviously there's probably a little more involved with the actual construction of the unit, but what beyond that?

So, along the same lines, I'm kind of looking for suggestions for standalone sub amps in the 200-300 watt range and coincidentally in a smiliar 200-300 dollar price range and of course cheaper is better.

I'm almost thinking my most cost effective way to go will be to buy a pair of plate amps and make some sort of standalone mounting fixture for them.

Any other ideas/input?

Thanks in advance!

A Crown xTi 1000 should be easy to find in that price range. The Samson S1000 amp that's powering my two SVS CS-Ultras can be had on eBay for around $200 as well.

You will need an RCA to XLR cord. I picked one up on monoprice.com for around $20 shipped.

Well.. Here's the deal. Currenty the amp for my right KSP400 is out for repair, and has been there since December. Apparently a transistor is on back order? I dunno. (this reminds me I need to call them back on that) Im starting to figure out options to get these speakers in good working order, in the event that the original amp cannot be fixed. In addition to the subs in the KSP400 towers, I had originally planned to add an additional sub (probably one of the larger Epik Subwoofers) for the extra low frequencies since the KSP400s are 3dB down at 27hz.

I was originally considering using plate amps for them and using the high level speaker leads for the signal, and then using my receivers sub pre amp to run the Epik. Now Im thinking it might be a better Idea to split the reciever's sub output; one line going to a Crown or Samson then feeding the subs in the towers, and the other line going to the Epik (down the road). The tower subs would be crossed over at 80 hz and the Epic at 40 hz most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Put this in the FWIW column

I now own 5 subs. 1 powered: RSW-15, built in ?BASH amp of some power, etc

The other subs are passive, ergo, require an amp. 2 Mad Amp 2 x 18" drivers per cab - 2 x 2 x 4 ft cabinet. Smaller single 18s are a pair of used Behringer 1800s, old version, not the the newer Pro version. I have 2 old Adcom amps, bought post Katrina. A 555 and a ?2535?. I used them in bridged mono mode to fire up the Mad Amp subs for a few months. Cost, I think about $250 each with shipping. Via Ebay and/or Audiogon. Worked fine, but NO adj knobs. Then I bought 1000W rack sub amps from Parts Express at Xmas 07, on sale for $250 each, I think w cheap shipping. They don't sell these anymore, just the plate amp version. Also work great. Just got a single 500W plate amp for the Behrs, also from P E, about $250. To be honest in my rooms and for my set up I don't think the knobs make much of a diff. However, mentally I prefer the newer caps, etc in the new amps vs the caps in the 20 yr old amps, which are prob due for replacement.

Just my 2 cents