question on Khorns,problem with sound

Hi, I Have a pair of 1993 Khorns, about 2 months ago I noticed a fuzzy, distorted sound from one of them, It happens usually when playing a cd with piano or keyboard, seems to happen only in that frequency range, I have multiple amps,preamps and sources, as well as other speakers, It is in the Khorn, any ideas??? bad xover etc,thanks

Hello Ben, Don't worry everything can be fixed.

Before others start recommending a $1000 in crossover upgrades, let's get specific about the actual problem.

1st: Have you done the obvious test? Swap the left and right channels from your amp. Now the left channel from the source - pre-amp - amplifier will now go the right channel and vice verse. Does the problem now go to the other cabinet or does it stay with the same cabinet?

2nd: do you have a voltmeter?

3rd: did party goers from a recent event at your place (or teenagers) play the classic game of "how loud will it go"?

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hi,

The K55 had a habit of blowing diaphragms - if it is in the upper reaches of a piano. Stick you head against the speaker that is giving you the problem and try to determine which driver may be at fault. If both speakers are casuing you a problem then I would suggest trying different CD players, amps or pre-amps.

Good luck

"The K55 had a habit of blowing diaphragms "

Really? That's news to me.

From 77~88 I ran the service department for one of the largest Klipsh dealers in the USA.

I never once had a blown K55V or K55M.

Now I actually replaced some K55M on the newer Klipschorns like this person has, but they were not defective. They had connector problems as I described.

I do know someone that actually blew a pair of K55V in the stock LaScala, they were driving into clipping with a 600W/8R amplifier though. So I suppose it IS possible, but not probable.

This is the song that did it, at about 3:20 into it:

http://music.aol.com/song/frankenstein/137436

(select the last version that is 4:42 long)