Heresy's & Mac1700

doogie67

Hello Everyone,

I have been running a set of recaped Heresy 1's with a Sansui 771 while my Mac1700 was restored ( I had never played it through the Heresy's before the restoration). I expected to hear a big difference when I hooked up the Mac but it was probaly equal or less sound quality than the Sansui. Is it me? The tuner sounds fantastic but when I play a CD there is no noticble improvement in sound qualilty over the Sansui.

It's not you. Mac didn't exactly hit it out of the park with the 1700 model.

That seems a little harsh. I have a McIntosh MAC1700 that was gone over by Terry DeWick. It sounded terrific with my Heresy II's. It is now doing duty in my studio setup with Cornwall Decorators. That little receiver has knocked the socks off of a Carver Preamp and Amp. Can't say I have compared it to a Sansui, but it took a McIntosh C2200 and MC275 to get me to remove it from my upstairs rig.

IMG_0236a.jpg

Ron, wasn't trying to be harsh, didn't say the 1700 sucked or was a total mutt of a receiver.
Within the vintage McIntosh line up of receivers, 1500, 1700, 1900, the 1700 is not at the top IMHO.
Compare the 1700 to say a Marantz 2240, I doubt that there will be a big difference.
I just think Doogie was expecting a bit more based on the Mac name.

Also Im not shocked that your 1700 replaced a Carver setup.
Had a C1 and an A-500X combo here for a while.
I'll stop now before I get the Carver camp on my azz.[:#]

I agree with Pete's assessment...my experience with McIntosh is similar...I think I was expecting to be blown away...a very good product, built like a tank and great customer service as well as great support from guys like Terry DeWick but...I was not blown away...at least not like I was when I listened to an EICO HF-81 or VRDs or and Outlaw Audio RR2150...I wanted to be but just wasn't...I did have the occasional "Ahhhh, Bach..." moment but it wasn't enough to keep my Macs...(MAC1900 or MA-6200)

Bill