B&K ST-140 Sound

MikeSt

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading here and around the net that the B&K ST-140 is great amp that matches well with Klipsch. Has anyone who's heard it with Klipsch that can describe the sound? I was wondering if it was overly smooth because I listen to a lot of metal and rock. Right now I have the KG4's but I plan on getting some KLF-20's when I can. Or maybe someone could recommend a different amp? Thanks!

What would really be cool if there was a 2-channel stereo that could do something like the Grado sr-60 manages to accomplsh, really enerrgetic and brings out the electric guitars but not harsh.

B&K is a great match. I had never heard of B&K until I was at a Klipsch dealer that also had B&K and they had RF-7's hooked-up to what I think was the Ref 507 at the time ( a reciever, not an amp.) and couldn't believe what I heard.

I ended up getting a Ref 50 pre-amp and a Ref 200.5 amp and the RF-7's and RC-7 and an RSW-15 and I can tell you that I don't regret it for one minute. It doesn't matter what kind of music (or movies, really) you want to listen too, it is fantastic. The only drawback I would say is that poor recordings really stand out, and almost become unlistenable (if that's even a word).

I listen to all kinds of music and it all sounds good on this system (I'm not trying to brag), if the recording is done right. If your favorite album/CD is a poor recording then you will probably begin to dislike it on a system like what you are going for, it brings out the best of good recordings and the worst in bad recordings.

Good luck.

Sorry, I haven't heard it with Klipsch. However, I did hear it with some Rega speakers powered by about a half dozen other tube amps.

Believe it or not, the B&K sounded warmer and smoother than the rest. Sounded excellent. I could hear why Klipsch guys like B&K with their speakers.

A 105 wpc version of the ST-140 was my introduction to B&K amps.

I've used the ST-140 with a pair of Cornwalls and also with a pair of KG2s. B&K sounds great with Klipsch on all types of music.

You'll often see B&K amps described as being warm & "tubelike." Don't know about that, but the sound is to my liking. I had a monster (375 wpc) Carver TFM-45 when I got my ST-140 and, over time, found that I was listening to the little B&K more than the Carver. As you can see from my sig line, I've moved up the B&K food chain since then. I guess you could say that I like their gear. [:o]

James

I don't know about the B&K ST-140 but I can tell you I sure like the sound coming out of my B&K Ref 4430(200w) through either the RF-63's,KG4's, and my newly acquired Forte's. I would best describe the sound as neutral, not too thin and not too over the top. B&K has a great rep as being built like Fort Knox and good bang for the buck. Good deals on the used market. Great customer service also. Look at these.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1241137417&/B-K-ST125.2

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1241205774&/B-K-ST--2140-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243099607&/B-K-ST-1400-series-II-Balanced

Just a few of the deals out there.

Bill