Custom KSP-400 Spike Feet

EdmundGTP

Got bored with the lame wooden crossbar feet that came with the KSP-400's and decided to make something a little cooler. In my spare time at work I drew up some feet using Solidworks, and made up a drawing for them.

footasmb.jpgfoot-ksp-400.jpg

I had one of our local machine shops water jet the feet out of some 0.531" thick 6061-T6 aluminum, and then did the rest of the finish machining by hand on a bridgeport. Bead blasted them, chased the threads, and bingo. [:)]

P1071449.jpgP3281499.jpg

P3281498.jpg

Some people had asked about feet and spike setups for these speakers in the past so I figured I'd just share what I came up with.

Yeah it's just bare metal against the speakers. The bolts holding them on dont allow the metal move to actually "rub" the surface though. Could put a thin layer of adhesive backed rubber between the metal feet and the speaker though if it becomes necessary, but I suspect it wont be an issue.

What would it be for a set in black? Good question. Didn't really think of ever making them to sell and I'm not sure I'd want to. I can tell you that it cost me roughly 75 bucks to have all four feet water-jet cut from 6061-T6 aluminum plate. Took me about 3 hours or so to do the holes, counterbores, and tapped holes on a bridgeport mill since Im no pro. The actual spikes, are the generic 3/8-16NC threaded spikes from partsexpress.com, and they were about 8 bucks a set; 1 set per speaker. Actually getting them black you could either go paint or anodize. I thought about tossing mine in with some other parts that we were sending to get anodized black, but didnt bother to.

If you have access to a machine shop, and connections at a lazer cutting or water jetting and finishing shop, they'd probably cost you less than 100 bucks and less than a few hours time to complete a set. I can email a higher resolution PDF file of the part drawing if anyone wants it. I also have it in a 3D solidworks model, as well as DWG and DXF formats at my office.

• Moderators

If you have access to a machine shop, and connections at a lazer cutting or water jetting and finishing shop, they'd probably cost you less than 100 bucks and less than a few hours time to complete a set. I can email a higher resolution PDF file of the part drawing if anyone wants it. I also have it in a 3D solidworks model, as well as DWG and DXF formats at my office.

I'm just a lawyer. We are not smart enough, nor have common sense, to be around things like lazer cutters or water jetting. I didn't even realize water jetting was used to cut metal. It sounded like you were an industrial designer or ran a shop so I thought I would ask what it would cost do have your place do it, I didn't realize that it involved different locations/vendors doing multiple functions.

They sure are nice.

Travis

• Moderators

I'm just a lawyer. We are not smart enough, nor have common sense, to be around things like lazer cutters or water jetting. I didn't even realize water jetting was used to cut metal. It sounded like you were an industrial designer or ran a shop so I thought I would ask what it would cost do have your place do it, I didn't realize that it involved different locations/vendors doing multiple functions.

They sure are nice.

Travis

Ohhh. Yeah, I used some of our local vendors to do the "heavy work". I work as a design engineer for a weapons systems manufacturer, so we have many many local fabrication contacts. We do lots of business with them, so they give us good deals on "personal projects". I was initially considering ordering a set of these (http://www.soundocity.com/products.html), but they're a tad pricey at ~$120 a pair, so I made my own for significantly less.