SVS CS Ultra Amp question

mrseamus

Hello all,

I just purchased a SVS CS Ultra sub. It came with a Gemsound Amp EXA 2955. Having never heard of Gemsound, I am assuming it is a low-end amp. I was hoping someone here might suggest a more appropriate amp to push the CS Ultra. Any adivse would be greatly appreciated. Also, any tips on hook-up would also be very helpful.

Thanks

SVS originally supplied Samson amps. I have the Samson S1000 and it works perfectly with my twin CS-Ultras. They've been on eBay from time to time for around $200.

You'll want to get an RCA to XLR cable from monoprice.com to hook up the amp to your receiver. An amp such as the Samson can be bridged to a single channel but you do want to be careful since the Ultra is a 4 ohm speaker and Samson recommends an 8 ohm speaker used in bridged mode. You're better off just using one of the amp's channels.

An amp such as the Crown XTi series would work very well also.

I found a little about your Gem Sound amp. Specs don't look too bad and generally a sub doesn't really need an audiophile quality amp.

• 500 watts per channel RMS @ 4 ohm
  • 250 watts per channel RMS @ 8 ohm
  • Left-Right level controls
  • Large VU Meters
  • Ground lift
  • Inputs: RCA & Balanced XLR
  • Outputs: Banana binding post, 1/4"
  • Protect LED, Peak LED
  • Fan cooled
  • 115V/230V switchable
  • 28lbs
It appears the amp can be bridged for a four ohm speaker. I would run the amp bridged and connect the speaker wire however is shown on the amp for bridged output. It looks like it has RCA and XLR. You might as well use the RCA inputs because you probably already have the necessary cables to do so.

Thanks for all the feedback. When listening to the Ultra connected to the GemSound, it sounded good, but I kinda expected that from SVS. I was encouraged after reading Wuzzer's response that an audiophile amp is not required to drive a sub. Then came the comments about negative reports on the GemSound. Now I am torn between laying out some more cash for an amp. Everytime I upgrade something, the wife keeps saying "are you done yet? After I brought home the big ole Ultra (That took up the whole back seat)......I told her I was nearly done. Therefore, I may be able to spend a bit more for the right amp. Thanks for the suggestions of crown and behringer as well as the link for parts express.

I was actually looking at the behringer EP 2500. Would this work well with the CS Ultra? Specs say it is a two channel amp pushing 1200 per channel. Guess I have to do some research to understand the 2 ohm, 4 ohm and 8ohm thing.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.

In the low cost departament you have Behringer 2500, retails ~$400 and is a very solid amp...for the CS Ultra.

Climbing up you have QSC's PLX2 lineup,great parts quality(for a pro amp) and very capable units.

Remember a crossover box or better a PEQ like the one Elemental Designs sells would be a great add on(~$100).