Tube break in

jnorv

All this talk of 300B's! Is it OK for me to say "I can't wait to get my Laurel's with the 300B TJ Meshplates!" I have posted a thread on the SET Asylum asking for suggestions on a preamp to mate up with the Laurel's. A couple of guys are using Cary Pre's (SLP-74 and SLP-94) with theirs and are quite happy. I'm so confused!

Mike

mobile,

any idea how long it will take you to evaluate the TJ 300B? I have now a pair of Sovtek and a pair of Svetlana (both new) and I seem to like the Svetlana more because their presentation of music seems to include a deeper/more defined soundstage. If the TJs aren't your first or even second choice, which would it be (and are we then still talking about affordable tubes -WE are simple too expensive for my budget!)?

Wolfram

------------------

Khorns, tubes and a suitable room: Welcome to aural paradise!

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

Mike, I have a mail coming you way including that horrifying mock up of your system rack. Perhaps I had been drinking when I started it...

Wolfram, just be happy with that Svetlana 300B for now as that is a very nice 300B from everything I have heard. As for the TJ 300B Meshplates, that will be close to a month till I get those in my house so dont hold your breath. Ole Ed's amp is going back long before then as well since I dont think he anticipated his little Monarchy to live in NC for over a month!

By the way, the Western Electric are now below $500 for a new pair. I think the Svetlana 300B should be floating your boat now, however. I'll let you know on the TJ300B as soon as I can get a handle on them which should be a few days after getting them here as they have been in the amps for close to a month.

kh

mobile,

thanks for your reply. I'll wait for your impression of the TJ 300B and yes, the Svetlana is a really good tube (but the better is always the enemy of the good).

Wolfram

------------------

Khorns, tubes and a suitable room: Welcome to aural paradise!

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

I haven't formed a good opinion of them yet. I am new to tubes. I did back off on the mid range, going from the 5-2 (6.2 dB down) to the 3-0 (8 dB down) on the ALK x overs. I am going to listen for a few more days and then swap the Valve Arts back in. Hard to do a real quick test, since it takes awhile for them to cool down and then reheat the others.

Thorsten, on the other hand, does have some rather controversial opinions on things audio. Some things make perfect sense, others seem to be hovering in space. One minute he despises PIO caps calling them honey sweet and SLOOOOWWWWWW (his spelling) and the next minute he is advocating them in the 300B Billie. Who knows. I am looking forward to hearing the TJ300B though. I only hope I'll have some others to compare.

kh

ps-Mike, see SET Asylum

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-03-2002 at 03:29 PM