connecting to external ampliefier - setting volume question

DU73

I've been reading my Yamaha book, why, who knows, anyway it says "set the volume of the amplifier connected to this unit to the maximum" I have Rotel RMB 1075 power amp and it has no volume control. does this mean that I have to set my speaker volume on my Yamaha AVR for each channel connected to power amp to its maximum?

I cant imagine i put the speaker volume on AVR to max, when I ran my YPAO it set the speakers volume about 75% of max.

i was just confused how the yamaha manual says power amp volume to max and i dont have a volume on mine.....

why is all this so confusing to me and makes perfect sense to others. are we that much different you and me... why wasn't i more of a technophile in my younger years at school ...

Maybe the manual's referring to power amplifiers with individual level controls for each channel?

My Carver AV705X has a small level control on the back to adjust the level for each of the 5 amplifier channels. I guess the idea may be to allow extra fine tuning of the level of each?

They could also be trying to tell you to use the receiver's volume control to control things if sending the output to an integrated amplifier (amplifier and pre-amp on one chassis like a receiver without a tuner).

My guess is the manual is a bit confusing in how it's worded what it's trying to say in that section. I know I've read a few and scratched my head. Don't worry, you're not alone.

I'm pretty sure that if you have no volume control or level adjustment on your amplifier, it IS set to maximum. Level controls usually just attenuate down from amp's standard output, so "maximum" means not being turned down. That model requires 1.5 v. signal input for its rated 120 w/ch out, which is neither a real high nor real low sensitivity, so it should be OK as is.

Turning up some other component's gain doesn't necessarily "correct" some gain issue in your system, and I wouldn't over- or mis-interpret that statement to go overboard trying. It could make things worse -- turning up a high gain amp can make the unit sound noisy in some systems. Maybe they wanted you to think you have a really, really powerful AVR because you don't have to turn it up much.

The idea is that you use the volume control of your receiver or pre-amp to control the system volume. Most external power amps have no volume control and their output is controlled by the amount of input they get from the pre-amp.

If you had an external amp with a volume control, you'd leave it at Max, so you'd control system volume with the pre-amp.

With modern systems, it's not unusual to have a number of volume or level controls in the signal chain. For example, your sub will have its own level setting, there's a setting in the receiver or pre-amp to set sub level, and of course there's your main volume control. The fewer times the signal is attenuated, the better, so it's usually ideal to have some of the levels set at Max, since the overall volume will be controlled anyway.

thanks everyone for their responses and suggestions.

with my auto setup it set my speakers to 6db, the only levels I changed was my surrounds, as i like to hear more from them than the set up set.

and like mentioned here, the main gain is on the volume anyway

all is good and am waiting for that RC64 at the right price.. i may have to wait for a while though.

have you guys watched Dexter on 5.1. fantastic..