Receiver outputs

User Name

Does anyone out there have experience with Denon receivers? I own an AVR 5700 and had a question about the TV/DBS output. I have the cable box output into my receiver with S video cable, and then an S video cable from the receiver to my TV. I'm having a problem however. I guess it's more of an inconvenience than a problem I suppose.

When I switch sources from TV to CD let's say, the TV picture goes off and now I can use the CD player. Sometimes I like to watch a basketball game or something, but since Bill Walton is in idiot, I'd rather turn on the stereo so I don't have to listen to his dumb ***. Anyway, how can I accomplish watching the TV picture and listening to the CD player at the same time? My TV only has 1 S video input and 1 S video output.

I would say that I almost can't use the denon receiver for my TV video source if I want to accomplish this goal.

Maybe other people out there have had the same experiences and could give me some pointers. Thanks.

User Name

In that scenario, I just use the RF output of the cable box or VCR connected to the antenna on the TV, and tune the TV to channel 3. In this case, you don't have the s-video for broadcast when listening to another source, but it works! I play music frequently when having a ballgame on the TV, and this is my workaround. You can still use the s-video input on the TV when you are listening to what you are watching. You would only lose the s-video when listening to another audio source besides the one you are watching.

Hope this helps...

Dave

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

I don't have a Denon, but my NAD T-761 receiver has its S video cable connected to my RPTV as well. My cable is directly connected to the VCR which is composite connected to the receiver. DVD is connected to Optical connection & CD is connected to receiver via Analog connections. The NAD will output any video input, component, S video or Composite via the S Video Out Cable. To watch a cable broadcast and play my CD as well, I have to have my VCR on and the receiver on Video 3 for TV viewing prior to changing to the CD Mode. If I select another video mode other than the Video 3 while playing the CD, I lose the broadcast signal. I have to switch to Video 3 then back to CD to regain cable viewing and CD play. I prefer this minor switching inconvenience to additional cable connections. Not sure if your Denon allows you this flexibility.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-18-2002 at 03:29 PM

I've got a Denon avr-4800 receiver, but I'm sure the 5700 is very similar.

Keep the TV on the s-video input. On the receiver, first select CD (or whatever audio source you want), then press the "video select" button on the receiver. Keep pressing it as it toggles thru all the video sources.

That's it.