smallest rf without losing much?

Quadrophenia58

After much research, I can't see any point in buying anything but the reference series to prevent upgrade-itis. My plan is to piecemeal my purchases as finances allow, eventually completing an HT system. In my 50's now and this will likely be the last speaker purchases I make. Setup will be in a smaller living room (18x14 maybe? haven't picked the house yet) Usage is probably 50/50 music vs tv.

My concern is tied to physical size, from space being at a premium, to appropriateness to the room, to wife acceptance factor. I guess as I said in the subject, I am looking for comments on what the smallest size reference without giving up much sound might be. Clearly, 83's would be silly. The RF-10 looks attractive by size, but am I making a mistake to not go up a step or 2?

(Edit) In looking further at reviews, it seems the RF-10 may not be the best choice, maybe more the 52's at a minimum?)

I agree with CECAA. As far as the room size you mentioned, that's the exact size of my room. IMHO, there is no such thing as too much speaker for any certain room. I would definitely look elsewhere besides the RF 10's. Maybe in a bedroom system, but other than that, probably not the best choice.......

I wouldn't go less than the RF-82's in the reference line. Not to say the lower speakers are bad, but you said it might be your last speaker purchase and you don't want upgrade-its. What kind of sub do you have or plan to purchase? You could probably drop to the RF-62 or RF-52, but then I would say you should get a beefier sub to help in the lower fq. Have you ever thought about the WF-35's? They have looks and great sound for thier size. Add a decent sub and they really shine.

Thanks for the comments thus far. In answer to some of the questions. I would agree that waiting to see the actual living room we end up with makes sense, but after 4 years with nothing for speakers, I can't take it anymore! lol. Sold my Klipschorns in anticipation of my house selling a whole lot sooner than this and we're still here. I was trying to wait for exactly that reason but I want my music back.

In response to next couple of comments, my plan is to get the pair of fronts and then follow in steps to complete a Klipsch recommended HT system. So the future purchases will be easy after the initial decision. DrWho, I wasn't really considering the heritage speakers mostly from a floorspace factor. Wife acceptance is always a consideration, hehe Am I wrong here?

Some of my current electronics need upgrading too. Held off for the same reason. They consist of Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver, Yamaha DV-S5650 dvd player, and an older B&O turntable (not sure on model, it's boxed up along with my albums). I also have a KV-3 center channel that I will replace to match whatever system I end up working toward. I will eventually integrate with an htpc, home server etc

The one other thing to keep in mind is that my wife would be perfectly happy with a htib like a quintet but I know I wouldn't be. By buying a step at a time, I can get away with spending 3-4 times that. Not sure how much further I want to push it. I can go further but it means more time to complete it.

Thanks again for the help.