Khorns orig 1987, Amp selection, Sophia Electric or Pass Labs F5 Amp

GregJD

I have a pair of unmodified Corner horns ( 1987 ) is the year model inside the cabinet with the builders card inside. I have them connected to a pair of Carver Silver 7t mono blocks that were upgraded to the 9T, ( I am the original owner ). They do sound very good but I am considering buying a Sophia Electric baby amp ( 10 Watts ) or EL34 ( 28 Watts ) tube amp or Pass Labs F5 amp ( 25 watts ). An old friend has me looking at these amps. Anyone have any thoughs on any of these amps? I will be upgrading the Crossover later but would like to go ahead and purchase a amp now. The Speakers are against oak panelled walls and are 16' apart. Any information would be appreciated.

I have a pair of unmodified Corner horns ( 1987 ) is the year model inside the cabinet with the builders card inside. I have them connected to a pair of Carver Silver 7t mono blocks that were upgraded to the 9T, ( I am the original owner ). They do sound very good but I am considering buying a Sophia Electric baby amp ( 10 Watts ) or EL34 ( 28 Watts ) tube amp or Pass Labs F5 amp ( 25 watts ). An old friend has me looking at these amps. Anyone have any thoughs on any of these amps? I will be upgrading the Crossover later but would like to go ahead and purchase a amp now. The Speakers are against oak panelled walls and are 16' apart. Any information would be appreciated.

I've never heard the Carver 9t but they look really cool. Do you find them a poor fit for the khorns? Have you heard the Sophia Electric tube amps? I would shop some of the integrateds on audiogon. There have been killer deals lately.

The Carver 9t mono blocks do sound good and I have tried a krell ksa 200 that sounded a little better, more definition/detail and wider sound stage but just felt that I was over powering the speakers. I have not considered the Integrateds. I have not heard any other amp but continue to see that a lot of people love the tube amps on the corner horns.

The Carver 9t mono blocks do sound good and I have tried a krell ksa 200 that sounded a little better, more definition/detail and wider sound stage but just felt that I was over powering the speakers. I have not considered the Integrateds. I have not heard any other amp but continue to see that a lot of people love the tube amps on the corner horns.

Thanks for your reply

Hopefully someone morefamiliar with carver will chime in here but they look so cool. The garage sale section of this forum also has deals.

What preamp are you using?

Not sure if it is appropriate in this instance but many use solid state amps with a good tube preamp with success. I've heard this with BAT and Mcintosh.

• 4 months later...

I just finished building an F5 amp, drives my 1981 Klipschorn nicely. Sounds great. I also have a Harmon Kardon Citation II tube amp which also drives the Klipshorn nicely. I'm presently doing a comparison of the two amps. I ahe used the tube amp for the past six months. Since I just got done withe F5, I'll run it for awhile. So far it sound s great. Pictures are available if wanted.

lrm

I just finished building an F5 amp, drives my 1981 Klipschorn nicely. Sounds great. I also have a Harmon Kardon Citation II tube amp which also drives the Klipshorn nicely. I'm presently doing a comparison of the two amps. I ahe used the tube amp for the past six months. Since I just got done withe F5, I'll run it for awhile. So far it sound s great. Pictures are available if wanted.

lrm

I would love to see photos of the F5 and to hear about your experience building it. Everyone loves to see photos!

Thanks