Have I been bitten again?

JSChapman

Trust me, there will be a bigger/better deal down the road. Keep your eyes open, especially on craigslist. I have found some fantastic deals for my HT there.

You know Youthman your right. Maybe I'm just being impatient. I think I would like to stick to local transactions. Shipping is what generally kills the deal anyways. I'm looking now on my Craigslist and saw a Harman/Kardon AVR 430.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/1141772064.html

Again just curious.

I'm looking now on my Craigslist and saw a Harman/Kardon AVR 430.

Now you have to remember that not all receivers are going to sound the same. Each company is said to have their own sound to them, some like one brand over the other for that reason alone. The watts might be lower on one brand but sound better then another. Thats what makes all this FUN.....

James

• Moderators

Ok, here's my 2 cents. HK makes a solid receiver. I had an AVR55 (55 watt/ch) and it was driving my RF-83's. It sounded absolutely amazing for 2ch and good for HT. The only thing I did not like is that at high volumes in 2ch, the vocals began to break up a bit and became harsh. The amp was simply running out of juice. Granted, "high volumes" was just that...high volume. LOL. It did not have DTS so I "upgraded" to an Onkyo TX-SR706. The Onkyo had more headroom at 100 watts/ch and sounded smoother at loud volumes but did not compare to the beauty that I heard with the HK in 2ch.

Don't worry about the HK being 65 watts/ch. If it is anything like my older AVR55, it should rock your F2's and sound beautiful doing so. I also notice it has preouts and analog inputs so if you bought a bluray player that has analog outputs, you COULD take advantage of the HD audio formats! Oh yeah. This would make it a definite possibility in my book for the making of a good receiver that you should be able to get many years enjoyment out of.

The last AVR430 on Ebay recently sold for $107.50 + $35 shipping. If you decide this is what you are looking for, I would let him know what you found on Ebay and offer him $125.00 cash and see what he says. One thing to keep in mind is that he says he has no use for it. That makes it easier to bargain with.

Now you have to remember that not all receivers are going to sound the same.

Yes, I am aware of that and I've heard the difference between Pioneer and Harman/Kardon. I have no preference for one or the other.

Thats what makes all this FUN.....

Fun. Ya, I need to keep that in mind.[:D]

• Moderators
Looks like I need to do some more research. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but, when this receiver came out wasn't it close to a Grand?

Not sure what it retailed for originally. According to the HK website, the 430 was first manufactured in 2003. I paid $100 for my AVR55 and that was over a year ago. Electronics drop like a rock, especially when new technology comes out and it becomes "old technology" (although still great technology). Definitely do your homework, research reviews about the receiver to see what other people think of it.

Definitely do your homework, research reviews about the receiver to see what other people think of it.

Thanks Youthman I will. I guess while I'm at it I will look into some cheaper alternatives to improving my system.

Trust me, there will be a bigger/better deal down the road. Keep your eyes open, especially on craigslist. I have found some fantastic deals for my HT there.

You know Youthman your right. Maybe I'm just being impatient. I think I would like to stick to local transactions. Shipping is what generally kills the deal anyways. I'm looking now on my Craigslist and saw a Harman/Kardon AVR 430.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/1141772064.html

Again just curious.

WOW

That's a great deal right there

WOW

That's a great deal right there

Ya I know it is and apparently I missed my chance at it. I called the guy and he said he would have to call me back. Well he never did and now it says it has been sold so, that really sucks.

• Moderators

This is where it pays to do as much research as you can so that you know what you are looking for and know what the items are worth. Then if you continually keep on the look out, when the good deal comes along, it's within your budget and you have cash in hand, you can pounce on the deal.

Okay so after all this hectic back and forth I've decided to go with the Pioneer VSX-1014/k. After doing extensive reading on this particular receiver. It has seemed to get fabulous reviews with such remarks as" Truly an Elite level receiver" "Best in it's class" and so forth. Even the remote got high remarks! I'm waiting for a final response from the seller. She said she is willing to split shipping so, that's the other part that sold me. I think I made a good choice and I want to thank everyone for helping me with this. I can't wait to post pics when it gets here.[:D]

My Pioneer receiver came today in brand new condition. I mean it had everything that it came with new and then some. I could go on all night about how cool this receiver is but I really want to get my movie watching underway so, I'll keep this short. First off I love the remote, very cool. I found it quite easy to set-up and navigate. Overall a sleek looking receiver with (in my opinion) plenty of bells and whistles. The last thing I'm going to mention is the MCACC. Possibly the coolest calibration set-up I have ever experienced or done myself. For my particular room it was very accurate with distance and channel level. The acoustic EQ for either all-channels or individually is really in-depth. I'll get pics when I'm not so busy. We'll off do do some heavy listening. Later.