Getting bad pictures

The exposure probably worked because only a sliver of the sun is over the horizon. Otherwise, it would wash out.

It did a very nice job! I had to position the sun just so with my Nikon F3, because the meter is 80% center-weighted -- the sun couldn't be in the center, but not too far away from the center, either.

I think the picture might have greatly under-exposed if more sun was showing.

Tricky stuff!

John, nice shots. Nothing like GREAT GLASS, is there?

That being said, cheap glass (lens) is the worst thing about a lot of digital camera. It doesn't mean a thing to have a bagillion pixel camera if you use cheap glass, the light has to pass through there before being rendered into pixels.

M

The exposure probably worked because only a sliver of the sun is over the horizon. Otherwise, it would wash out.

It did a very nice job! I had to position the sun just so with my Nikon F3, because the meter is 80% center-weighted -- the sun couldn't be in the center, but not too far away from the center, either.

I think the picture might have greatly under-exposed if more sun was showing.

Tricky stuff!

Most good SLR camera have exposure compensation which you can use to 'override' the exposure meter. For instance, when I'm shooting photos of my mostly-black Klipsch Pro gear, I use -0.7 (- 2/3) of a stop compensation. The automatic meter in the camera keeps trying to make everything 18% grey. Same deal with overly bright subjects like snow.

If the color of photos seems 'off', consider the white balance mode you are using. Most cameras have settings for daylight. tungsten lamps, fluorescant, partly cloudy skies, shade. There is usually an automatic mode but that won't work all the time. What these do is basically 'filter' the light so that the photo is rendered properly.

Better cameras will have a 'custom white balance' feature which is very useful in mixed lighting (more than one of the above shining on your subject (suppose you're indoors with window light and tungsten bulbs). Basically you photograph a frame filled with white- then tell the camera 'this is white'. It figures out the proper filter set for that particular mix of light.

An understanding of white balance is required to get proper color rendering in your photography. Please check you manual. It's not terribly complicated.

The white balance thing, well, mmmm not really.

Take a look at page 56 of the manual. That has the information about how to set the "White Balance" and how to make custom ones also.

Here is a link to the Canon site just in case you misplaced your copy. Under "Guides and Manuals" third from the bottom.

James

Sharpness with digital pictures can open up a huge can of worms. Are you using a TV?, Monitor? How large is the screen? Projector? Picture frame? Are you resizing the picture? Changing the aspect ratio? Did you change the size to view on the Klipsch website? What resolution is the TV set for? What software are you using? How do you transfer the pictures to the computer?

I have had Canon (XL1s) cameras and they tend to have a very slight shift to the soft side, and I mean very slight as compared to Sony (Z1) with standard settings.

JJK

I have red about the white balance in the manual.The custom white balance is a confusing to me so I usually leave it alone but I will try playing with it. I was looking at some old pictures and man they are awesome with the colors and very sharp with low light and no flash. I just don't get that anymore. I will send two more pictures and then I will stop bothing you guys

I have to say after looking over the 4 pictures file information that the only thing that is different is the most recent picture was taken in Aperture Priority mode while the others where taken in a less manual modes, Portrait and Normal. While it has been about two and half years between pictures I am sure your shooting style has changed. Maybe try a few today in the Normal or Portrait modes and see how they come out.

BTW you are not bothering us so post much until everything works out for you. Thats what we are here for, to help each other out.

James