More AP(TC) goodness TC2000(LMS coils)

TheEAR

All at the same time ?..NO I did just that to measure over 126dB @ 16Hz at listening position,the system was not even trying. There is not two commercial subs sold that can reproduce the deepest notes with such ease at this high of a volume.

This sub setup has vitually no limitations for HT or music ...or reproducing ULF recorded to show off sub systems.

My tapped horn will come close to that with $200 in drivers and about another $100 or so in the cabinet [:)] I've never actually measured it. I would imagine Danley's tapped horn should come real close too.

DrWHO,

Come close to what exactly, the 126dB at 16Hz at listening position(in this case 3 Meters from the closest driver). That figure is far from max output,my sub system can top 140dB at this frequency at listening position,on paper with room to spare(both from Xmax and thermal).

If you have plans to build the said sub,please contact me as I have now the time to build a more complex box for a horn sub.And will be happy to buy the driver you recomend and other hardware.

You know all these subs are to satisfy a simple need to try drivers.

Come close to what exactly, the 126dB at 16Hz at listening position(in this case 3 Meters from the closest driver). That figure is far from max output,my sub system can top 140dB at this frequency at listening position,on paper with room to spare(both from Xmax and thermal).

I'm rolling off at 20Hz, but 126dB is definitely attainable....I can't believe how much pressure that puts inside the horn though, the cabinet is braced like crazy and it's still flexing a bit. I'm sure your wall of subs can do more, but that's gotta require a butt load of amplifier (which I'm sure you've got on hand).

Btw, you probably wouldn't want to build the specific sub I built because it's oversized to accomodate less than ideal drivers.

I'm curious to see how the LMS coils turned out on the TC2000. Are you doing any of your own measurements?

Mike,

The "LMS" coil on the TC2000 has one drawback...low BL. Around 10-11, you guessed it ,larger volume needed to get descent F3 in a sealed,not a biggie as almost all TC OSunds model so well in smaller than "idea" spaces.

In this case for example a TC1000 12" only needs ~1.5-2cu ft to get a very good looking response cuve, the TC3000 12" with its very high BL needs a tiny volume of under 1 cu ft to work well. And the TC2000 LMS edition as I call it, 3.6-4 cu ft is the minimum in my view ,yes you can EQ more, I prefer to resort to PEQ boost as little as possible. This way both the thermal and the excusion remains in check,not talking about other issues.

Final deign should be 3.5cu ft volume net per driver.

Yes the major drawback with sealed is they are quite power hungry.Plus the drivers better have a healthy Xmax and high enough thermal to make the cut.

Surprisingly even the low cost Mach 5 MJ18 with a mere 12mm Xmax one way can satisfy with serious deep bass.It needs sone PEQ to work well as its Fs is quite high due to the light weight moving assembly and stiff suspension.