What is your "reference" song?

jhoak

I use several CDs for reference. I like Joni Mitchell's "Hits" CD for one. Her voice has incredible range and is well recorded on this album. There's a good variety of instruments used too making for a good reference. For large orchestral bombast, I like Mahler's 2nd Symphony. I have the Slatkin/Telarc recording as well as the Rattle/EMI recording. Also in this category is Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" Levi/Telarc. For operas, I like Verdi's "La Traviata" Ceccato/Angel LP with Sills and Gedda. The first act has great orchestral variety, choruses solos and a killer duet at the end of side 1 that does well for me.

Sorry, it's impossible to choose just one!

Enjoy your music,

George Roland

• Moderators

WELL Mr Jhoak everyone proved me wrong you got some answers here, MOST of the time there is more traffic in the other sections. I like some of the answers you got, I am going to see if I have a couple of those to try them out.

I use the second side of Synchronicity by The Police. I don't really care for Sting and The Police, but this album has certain features that are subtle and distinctive, some at the threshold of hearing - excellent for testing things.

Every Breath You Take - Sting's voice (throughout the recording) has a slight sibilance, one of the things most likely to vary with changes in gear/setup.

King Of Pain - the wood xylophone intro and double stopped bass, lots of places where there is a dramatic silence, then dynamic resumption.

Wrapped Around Your Finger - the bass is absurdly low and there is a mixing/mastering artifact in the words (a mistake) where the begining of something is cut out - at the threshold of hearing. Listen to the line "Mephistopheles is not your name" and listen to what happens about the time the word "your" is being sung... there is a strange quiet squeak or squeal.

Tea In The Sahara - the punchy bass and kick drum during the intro, and the echo processing on the guitar has some slight "mistakes" that seem to sound a little different on different occasions.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input.

What I find most surprising is how many of the suggested songs I already own in one format or another.

Collectively you've given me a LOT of "critical" listening to do. Thanks again.

Now... Where did i put that Police album...