Anyone heard of these?

CDogX999

For the money the magnet's on those driver's are tiny! They look as bad as the ksw-12 and the ksw-12 only cost around 400.00. Those are some really nice looking enclosures. But not for the money..

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Harman Kardon TC-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

"For the money the magnet's on those driver's are tiny! They look as bad as the ksw-12 and the ksw-12 only cost around 400.00. Those are some really nice looking enclosures. But not for the money.. "

Tiny!? The driver is 15" and the magnet on this unit is quite large thank you.These subs no doubt mop the floor with the KSW series.The KSW15 and 12 mahgnets are really small but do their job very well.

Take the HGS10,its magnet looks HUGE and when you look at the HGS18 magnet it "only" looks large.The driver 18" so you would need a titanic magnet to make it proportional to the HGS10.

For you I guess a Sunfire Mark II would do well Wink.gif

Its humongous magnet in proportion to the driver would amaze many.Its a sight to behold,its freaking gargantuan.I sure like the Sunflower power.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-21-2002 at 12:31 AM

TheEar,

Not to start a flame war but if you think those are large magnets on the DYI you haven't ever seen a large magnet. Maybe in home audio they are not that big but look at this site and you will know when I mean.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/2002home/

look at the rfr3110. I did not say the DYI was a bad speaker, but for that money I could send in on alot more speaker and alot more sound..

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

Harman Kardon TC-1000

Large magnets are a benefit for subs, nonetheless.

But after awhile, it's just overkill.

OOH, look at the 300 pound magnet, that's gotta be a better subwoofer!

I had a old Rockford Fosgate 15' Pro series 8 ohm sub in a vented enclosure used for home duty for years.

Hell, it has a 30 pound magnet.

Now I have 2 SVS 16/46's.

12 incher's with smaller magnets.

One of these alone outpounds the Fosgate, and in a musical way!

With the same amp!

I don't like the cheesy switching power supplys that most powered subs use for their internal amps.

There is very few exceptions.

Flame on, Brother!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-21-2002 at 06:15 PM

Mike,

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the svs woofers 4 ohm. Because if they are they WILL play louder than a 8 ohm sub. I know of the pro series rockford's you speek of and they are awesome. I believe that svs is getting ready to release a "SVS SS 12" ultra high-excursion driver for 150.00 with a trade in on you old svs woofer. The difference between the two look like night and day. What you think.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

Harman Kardon TC-1000

Yeah, they are 4 ohm car subs basically.

But I have them series wired, which raises the Impedance.(Well, for the amp anyway.)

Good point, and thank you for the correction.

Yeah, I know about the subwoofer trade-in deal with SVS.

I guess I want them bigger magnets too, 'cause I'm on it as soon as I can afford it.

I couldn't say the difference, unless I had the woofers to compare.

I'm sure there is a audible difference, nonetheless.

The Hell with it, I'm not here to flame, We'll leave that to Theears.

'Feel the Heat!'

Klipsch-daddy,

"TheEar,

Not to start a flame war but if you think those are large magnets on the DYI you haven't ever seen a large magnet. Maybe in home audio they are not that big but look at this site and you will know when I mean."

No problem at all,I must get a digital cam and take pics of the Sunfire Mark II active driver.This 10" driver(more like a 8")has a huge magnet,make it freaking huge.The RF driver you pointed out has a beefy magnet so does the Sunfire.

Like Mike pointed out some of the "super" drivers use oversized overkill magnets to impress(intimidation)and sell.The SVS line uses well designed drivers with big but not huge magnets and whoops the so called MEGA MAGNET subs.

Right now the most brutal driver is made by MTX this 15" unit has a peak to peak over 4"!!!!!And is only brutal with no finesse.Impressive...not really,your ears will bleed and you will lose hearing,not enjoy music.

And Mike dont attack the venerable Velodyne HGS18,this unit is quite refined on music.I will not trade this beast against many so called audiophile BS subs.One heck of a well designed high tech driver too.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The BluePrint drivers also have some pretty huge magnets and baskets, but they require a LOT of power to make them play loud and also require an EQ to tame them.

The Tempest's fortay seems to be "most bang for the buck" as they don't require a lot of power and if you follow Adire's alignments you normally don't need any EQ'ing.

There's a West Coast guy who recently won a major car audio competition using 2 15" Tempests. Hit something like 155+ SPL. AMAZING!!

Just got a note from Adire and looks like my Tempests/Amp will ship on Monday!!! Been waiting for almost 2 months, but will be worth the wait.

Take care...Mike