forte vs forte II

johnhart

The Forte I has, for the midrange, the exponential horn, which, if you are looking at the front, has an opening that is wide but not so "tall." The Forte II has the Tractrix horn, which has a "taller" opening, which is supposed to offer better dispersion characteristics. There is not a great difference between them. Klipsch would not likely make a huge change in a speaker's sound without relabelling it as a different line. I use Forte IIs for fronts and Forte Is for rears.

The rear passive radiator in a Forte II is 15" compared to the original Forte's 12". I haven't heard an original Forte to compare but I would imagine slightly higher bass output from the Forte II as a result.

• Moderators

We have both, but I have only compared them once, and to be honest there is not a big difference. I have to say I would not think Klipsch would have made a version ll without some improvements so I would think my ears are not the best to judge the difference( fact).

If looking I would go with the ll version but either are very nice, and don't rule out the Chorus 1 or 2. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

My Opinion (only?) ... The Forte II is less forgiving on poorly recorded material, but has the advantage on some really great recordings. Like Richard above, I used II's in the front and Originals in the rear until I came across another pair of IIs. Under MOST conditions, they are (un?)remarkably similar.

Personally, I like them with a good high current amp ... Rotel, Parasound, or YOUR favorite.